Why does my outdoor AC unit randomly run (2023 Update)

I've noticed my outdoor unit will turn on and run randomly, without the thermostat telling it to. It will even run if I have the heat on. I do have an separate air exchanger, could this be tied together somehow? Please help

Reply to
erust2008

Okay, I understand that your outdoor AC unit is running randomly without being instructed to do so by the thermostat. This can be a concerning issue as it might increase your energy bills, and cause damage to your system. Let's take a closer look and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Here's what you can do to troubleshoot the issue:

  • Check the thermostat: Make sure that the thermostat is set to the correct mode, and the temperature setting is correct.
  • Check the air exchanger: Ensure that the air exchanger is not interfering with the AC unit. The air exchanger should have a separate control, so if it's on, it shouldn't affect the AC unit.
  • Check the wiring: Sometimes, the wiring between the thermostat and the AC unit can become loose or damaged, causing the AC unit to run when it shouldn't.
  • Check for a stuck relay: Sometimes, the relay in the AC unit's control panel can get stuck, causing it to turn on and run randomly.
  • Check for a faulty control board: If all other possibilities have been ruled out, it's possible that the control board in the AC unit is faulty.

It's always a good idea to turn off the power to the AC unit before performing any repairs, for safety purposes.

If you're not comfortable troubleshooting the issue yourself, it's always best to call in a professional to avoid causing further damage to your system.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor