What physically happens that a chest freezer is very slow to start?

We have several older Kenmore chest type freezers. We fill and empty them and will shut them off for a month or two, then restart them. when powered up, you can hear that power has been applied to the motor, but the internal circuit breaker will open and close half a dozen times (or more) before they will restart. They all finally do restart, but what is happening inside the motor that is causing them to lockup. I restarted two last night one started after I hit the compressor with a 2" x 4", it could have just been coincidence, but I heard the breaker close and after a couple of hits with the 2" x 4" it started. That dind't help the second one, I gave up walked away for an hour and when I came back it had started. btw, once they start running, they are fine, cool down to the -10 on the display and colder on external thermometers that we use.

So why don't they want to restart?

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx