Vacuum Rise Test Anomalies

I'll check back here for comments on my article draft notes whcih can be read at...

Thanks.

Reply to
Marc O'Brien - ACRTC

Just can't leave without spamming us. Even Mel Damron was better then that. Thats right.. His forum failed too after a long run.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Lol, everything eventually fails. Think back to all the empires that ever existed. Thank back to when alt.hvac was thriving. It may not always be entropy but it always happens.

I'm beggining to think this place would be better by a long shot without you.

Off course I'm not likely to return here and see any constructive comments regarding vacuum rise test anomalies, am I? You just stubbornly are chained to this one track. A little like a druggies addiction.

Reply to
Marc O'Brien - ACRTC

It would be nice to see your graph in standard units instead of metric so I could relate it more easily to what I have seen. Its ok though, I understand you work on the metric side of the pond.

Reply to
The King

I doubt that you are capable of lucid thought. Nice try though.

Why should anyone rehash something that we have all be educated in long ago. Maybe you also learned it long ago, but due to a drug and booze created brainfart, you have lost it and are now relearning it. Also obviously you are hard up for cash as indicated by your spamming. I would guess you overpent or the Exwife wants Child support or alimony increased or jus simply paid on time for a change.

You just

Your druggies addiction is the one you should worry about. ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

What are the units you want to see, Mike? You people speak a lot of Microns, inches and psi if I remember?

Reply to
Marc O'Brien - ACRTC

Hi Don, good question. That is precisely why I'm going to be writing the article today.

Firstly, why rehash something that we were all taught long ago? Well, usually because of progress. For instance when we discovered that the earth was no longer the centre of the universe and that the sun does not revolve around the earth we rehashed what was traditionally taught. We no longer teach that there are angels behind the sun pushing it around - this theory, though widely taught in its day, has been modified.

You see, everyone I speak to does exactly as I have always done. Everyone puts the system on for as long a vacuum as they need,usually

24hrs these days, and only then do they carry out a vacuum rise test for moisture. With smaller mini splits up to say 20kW most engineers will go for about 1 to 2 hrs vacuuming before doing a vac rise test. But with VRV systems it tends to be 24hrs.

My point here is that if there is water in the system (note I say water and not moisture) then especially if that water is in insulated pipe on a cold day it will turn to ice over 24 hours of vacuum whereafter there is a very good chance that its precense will not be detected because the ice may very well not, within 30 minutes, create a discernable vapour pressure rise.

So I think that what I was taught and what you were taught, all those years back, should be rehashed. What should be taught now is that a vacuum rise test should take place before any possible water content has had the chance to freeze below the sublimation line. This means a rise test should take place immediately after the first instance a vacuum of ay 2000 microns has been reached. If no rise occurs then it is safe to vacuum and to also omit the rise test normally taken at the end of the 24hr vacuum. If a rise occurs then another strategy be drafted depending on the site, kit size, ambient temperature and time permitted etc.

Marc O'Brien - ACRTC

Note to all, you heard it here on alt.hvac first :-)

Reply to
Marc O'Brien - ACRTC

There are quite a few videos on youtube showing water boiling in a vacuum. Some show the water turning ice. Some show water from fridges in bottles supercooled to below freezing which then freeze upon shaking or pouring,

Marc O'Brien - ACRTC

There are quite a few videos on youtube showing water boiling in a vacuum. Some show the water turning ice. Some show water from fridges in bottles supercooled to below freezing which then freeze upon shaking or pouring,

You can bet your ass that doesn't happen in a Lucas refrigerator.

Reply to
Jim Dandy

Failed my aching ASS

Purchased by Contractor Magazine and is now one of the Largest HVAC Sites on the internet

AllTemp

Been wondering what happened to you. Thought maybe the California Penal system caught up with you. ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

I think what actually happened is that these discussion forums, like Vbulletin used at hvac-talk.com, being so much more powerful than google groups, have simply attracted more people that the likes of alt.hvac.

has some clever people these day who are also willing to have quality friendly arguments.

Reply to
Marc O'Brien - ACRTC

Obviously you didn't fit in or you wouldn't be spamming here. Lemme see now.. How long has alt.hvac been on net now? Most here pretty much settle their own technical problems and in some of the forums, folks are looking for someone else to solve their problems. You have noted that many in the forums also monitor this group and don't post. We have many silent lurkers. I don't suppose it ever occurred to you to be the same? ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

Just been rubbing two nickels together trying to make a buck.

Have not spent much time on for some time, had gotten an email regarding an old friend on HVAC-Talk that recently passed and jumped in here to see what was going on.

Nice to see alot has not changed :-)

It is amazing to see what has happen to the other site in 9 years, turned into a pretty profitable website has some pretty big names sponsoring good information. These days if I needs something I google it no kidding.

Don enjoy I'm going to have a back seat here...

Reply to
AllTemp

You're a silly boy, Don.

Reply to
Marc O'Brien - ACRTC

A wise old owl lived in an oak The more he saws the less he spoke The less he spoke, the more he heard Why can't you be more like this wise old bird?

Reply to
Don Ocean

Because I am not like that owl, I am like this owl...

A wise old owl lived in an oak The more he saws the less he spoke The less he spoke, the more he heard The more he heard the more he thought And the more he thought the more taught.

Reply to
Marc O'Brien - ACRTC

Such arrogance is laughable.

Reply to