Thermostat problems (2023 Update)

Ok my air conditioner is short cycling. I had someone here the last few days to check everything and he replaced the tstat. It was turning off and on every 5 minutes with the new one so he changed the settings on the tstat and now it runs about 20 minutes and only stats off for 5 minutes. Any ideas. Cause neither one of us can figure UT out. Thanks.

Reply to
Christi

Hi there! I understand that you're having issues with your air conditioner short cycling, and a technician recently replaced the thermostat. However, it's still not functioning correctly, turning off and on every 5 minutes after the settings were changed.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

  1. Check the air filter and replace it if it's dirty. A dirty filter can cause the AC to work harder, leading to short cycling.
  2. Check the ductwork for any signs of leaks or restrictions. Leaks or restrictions can cause improper airflow, leading to short cycling.
  3. Check the evaporator coil for any signs of icing. Icing on the coil can cause the AC to shut down, leading to short cycling.
  4. Check the refrigerant levels and make sure they're at the proper levels. Low refrigerant levels can cause the AC to shut down, leading to short cycling.

If you're not confident in performing these checks or troubleshooting the issue, it might be best to call in a professional to take a look and avoid causing any further damage to your air conditioning system.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor