The use of JET A for Fuel Oil Furnance?

-------------------------------------

I know this sounds wierd but I'm a helo Mech. and get fuel sample every day and have a 55 gal drum full about every year. Jet A is the same as disel fuel just filtered more. It would very cheap for me if this is possible. Hope someone can give me some feed back..Thanks

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 25556 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
medflight6

Jet A has too low of a flash point... it would be like running gasoline in your furnace, however JP-5 will work just dandy when you correctly adjust your air mix. JP-5 has almost exactly the same characteristics as #2 diesel.

Reply to
Noon-Air

page mentions some substitutes, for vehicles.

From what I could find, jet A flash point about 38C, where fuel oil is about

  1. It's possible that the fuel would work fine, but I would not want to risk it. It may very well burn too hot, or too cold for the usage. Diluted a bit (1 to 10) your furnace might not notice the difference.

The web page above said jet a would work well in Dodge diesel engines.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon