tappan heater wont heat - just sits there with steady red light

I have a nine year old horizontal tappan gas furnace with electronic ignition. I have two main issues. Bear in mind i replaced the thermostat last year and the flame sensor.

Issue #1 The furnace won't ignite. The main blower runs (and is problem #2 as it won't shut off) There is a steady red light on the control board but the yellow light doesn't ever flicker. I don't hear the other blower evaculate any gases and the igniter doesnt glow. There is no gas odor. I have turned on and off the main power to the furnace and nothing. I replaced the batteries in the thermostat and i do have gas supplied as my gas water heater works fine.

Is it possible that a broken ignitor is the issue? If the igniter doesn't work, would the system act the way its acting now? I cleared out any cob or spider webs from the plenum and other orifices.

Issue #2 The main blower won't shut off. I have banged on the fan limit switch housing to no avail.

Any guidance would be helpful.

THanks

Dave Rimmer Independence Missouri

Reply to
drimmer

Its shut down on a safety!!!! Quit screwing it, and call your fav local, competent, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC tech. Banging on *ANYTHING* that doesn't work isn't the answer.

Reply to
Noon-Air

You need to replace the thermostat and flame sensor again. To stop the blower you need to use a 20oz hammer. Dont use one any bigger. Hammer on the fan/limit switch lightly and keep doing it gradually harder until the blower stops. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Well, ya go straight to the back of the room turn left and keep going until you get to the ladder. Then climb the ladder and crawl out the open skylight. After you're out be sure to close it good and put the "Homeowner's KEEP OUT!" sign back up... :)

Reply to
Joseph

You haven't banged on it hard enough or with a big enough hammer. You need to really whack the shit out of it. Better yet, give the hammer to your wife and have her whack the shit out of you for endangering your families' life. Moron.

Reply to
Sub Cooled

Bubba: So the fact that there is absolutely no activity from the furnace when i turn on the thermostat could mean that its either the thermostat or the flame sensor? Not the ignitor?

Reply to
oafum

Ok i am a moron - i am also a moron who just got laid off and have no money to pay for a pro. Either i get this furnace going on my own or i have to use the oven to heat my home through the winter or until i find work.

Reply to
oafum

Datz what I said. Then, if that doesnt work, replace the circuit board. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Ok, you're a moron who's laid off with no money. I hope your wife enjoys baking. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

your local gas company should have programs for those that are hard on cash (broke) to get your furnace operating. You have not given us near enough info to fix your furnace. Try the gas company B4 you come back an ask a bunch of idiots you don't know what to do. Aren't your lips hurting from the hooks letting you in and out yet

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo