Stick braze silver types

The Johnstone catalog says the 15% silver has about the same melting temps as the 1 to 2%. I don't know if I believe that. I used to braze with mapp gas and the 15% stuff. But, tonight I just couldn't get the map gas flame to heat the fitting hot enough.

Has anyone tried both, and is there a real difference? I'm tempted to go buy a pack of the 15% stuff, save me having to haul out my acetylene torch. On the other hand, I braze about twice a year, and for that once or twice I can use acetylene. When I did get the acetylene out, it did a nice job.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

All I carry on the truck is oxy-acetylene, 15% Silphos, and 45% silver.

Reply to
Steve

Me too, the 45% is the only thing to use to install steel service valves to copper lines. I use the rods that have a blue flux coating. Some of the guys are using a low temp silver alloy solder to hook up condensers and evaporators. It's a lot like the no lead plumbing solder with a different flux. I'll stick(no pun) with the high temp stuff.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Before my tube of 15% silver braze ran out, it did a lot of good, for me. I have no way to know the number of compressors and repairs that tube of braze did. Might be time to buy another one. Might be "out in the field" and need to braze a patch.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've never had any success, brazing to steel. Maybe need the higher silver content.

My last job, we used to use Sta-Brite low temp stuff on new copper. When it's a tight fit, and brand new copper, that works well. I was doing installs of new AC, often installing AC on top of a furnace that didn't have AC before that day.

The stick braze works well, if there's bigger voids to fill. Or, if it's old copper. Also, ataching a cap tube to the end of a piece of copper tubing, nothing like stick braze.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How can you do HVAC service and braze twice a year?? Some times I braze severl times a day, minimaly once a week, and I don't do as much service as I used to. Greg O.

Reply to
Greg O

Where I am, the economy is nearly dead. I've got a maybe nibble for a compressor replacement. Oriental restaurant, with a prep table that warmed up. Other than that, there's no work in sight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Its not the economy, the word is out on you. Even in Michigan we are swamped with work.

Reply to
The King

And covered with a TARP to keep the rain out :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

14-1/2 hours yesterday.

Today looks the same.