Seen at a supply house

Okay, I was paying my bill at one of my local supply houses when 2 people come driving up. They were in one of those non-descript Nissans that no longer had much of a front end (following too close?). There were towing a

4X4 trailer that had a furnace on it and were picking up a evap coil, a gas connector, and a half sheet of duct board. They parked parallel to the building 'because of the trailer,' but right behind some of the other vehicles, blocking the other cars and trucks in. As I went out, the helper was pouring another quart of oil in because the gaskets were bad and the oil was burning off on the exhaust manifold. The dashboard was littered with filter-dryers and assorted papers as well as yesterday's lunch. As I drove off, I saw the helper pushing the car, probably to get it started.

I really wanted to get a digital picture of it, but couldn't.

How'd you like these peoples working at your house, doing a changeout?

Reply to
HeatMan

This may not make you happy, but I have run into the same but I took pictures with my digital camera and sent them to the state inspection department to have them quite in dealing with the public and not having a license and insurance only to find out later they were connected to a apartment.

In Texas if they are with a apartment maintenance they are legal. The only way they can get into trouble if they are caught doing work off the apartment property.

Not too long ago I went to a review of the state codes and learned that Texas does not have a statue of limitations on side work. So if someone did some side work and 20 years down the road something goes wrong and lets say there had been a fire and the city also finds that a permit had not been pulled the insurance company does not have to pay.

This is why I inform my friends to get a license contractor to do the work or even those who want to try to save money is to go down to the city hall to get a home owners permit. At least the city inspector will come by and check the work to be safe.

Note: I do not mind in home owners trying to do work themselves because most of the time they have to pay extra to a contractor to fix their work. :-)

And times are changing. You are now seeing quite a few cities in Texas that wants a copy of a heat load before you can replace a existing condensing unit or furnace and installing a new system to get a permit.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Door decals saying "Carolina Breeze" on the passenger side, only?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

HeatMan posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Stormys boss in town? Stormy was the pushmobile motive power!

Reply to
Tekkie®

Nope...I have real vans...real decals, and a real business, unlike you fucktard cultist boi.

Hey...SLANDER....I like this..keep it up Chris..Imma gonna call ya now and let ya know what else you got in store..LOL

Reply to
aka-SBM

Just helped a friend install a condensing furnace - pretty straightforward job if you can read instructions. Total cost about $1200, not bad considering he saved 3-4k over the contractor's price. Oh yeah, the inspector said it was as good or better install than most pro's perform.

Reply to
John

Not bad, since anyone can by a Goodman for less than that....

Oh..thats right..you live in a state where ANYONE can install...not here.

Reply to
aka-SBM

Not a Goodman and that includes 80' of 3" PVC, filter kit and bayvent

Reply to
John

.............and then the inspector went outside and laughed his freakin ass off at how pitiful of a installation you and your buddy did over a case of beer. Remember, most inspectors are wanna be flunkies that couldnt hack it in the hvac world. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You still havent impressed anyone. No information, no model numbers, no size info, no make... Hell, you might have bought a Trane unit for that...a 40,000BTU bottom of the line unit that makes a Goodman unit look good. EVERY brand has crap. The difference is when you go back to service it over the course of years, and the one that cost an additional 2000 is still looking like new, while the 1200 dollar unit is about shot, and the warrantys void and null.

Reply to
aka-SBM

"bayvent', sounds like he did install a Trane.... did you?

Reply to
geoman

Armstrong tech 91 upflow 75k BTU and I can buy 3 more new furnaces before approaching the cost of the contractor's install price. Most likely problem will be flame sensor contamination - a little steel wool and another $100 service call saved.

Reply to
John

More power to you if you can buy wholesale.

My question is: Did you pull a permit and had the job inspected by a city or state inspector to make sure it was installed right and is safe?

And if it passed that good.

I will say most side work completed by home owners are minor items and the big jobs tried by home owners do not last long for they do not have the tools or knowage that a retail contactor has.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Steel wool? Not a good idea...

Reply to
HeatMan

I'll vouch for this, as I've seen the (then) newest van, the decals, and the business cards. :)

NOI

Reply to
noi

It lives...LOL

Seriously man..we gotta stop meeting like this.

:)

Reply to
aka-SBM