Nightmare heating

I bought an old house that had a coal furnace converted to gas. It was toasty in Winter and the bills were never over $400 I don't know if that's good or not. A friend convinced my ex that radiant heat is more efficient and more healthy and while I was out of town...All the ceilings were torn down in order to install "pex" ....and all the ductwork was torn out ....not the 100 yr old furnace just the ductwork and the giant fan on top of the furnace. Two freezing winters later he left and I am trying to figure out what to do. I got a quote for a new furnace and ducts $6500 IF I remove the old furnace. A friend gave me a new European boiler that needs to be converted to 110.

Will old floors be able to stand the extra weight of pipes full of water. Should I try zone heating first? I bought a celing fan that has a ceramic heater built it would that work for all the rooms?

I don't have $6500 do you think radiant heat will be cheaper?

What would you do?

Overwhelmed

Reply to
Mulan

If I were you, I would suck on the end of a shotgun and pull the trigger for making such a huge mistake. The floors in that old house were not designed for hydronic heating, so you have to use ducts and furnace. $6500 seems awfully cheap, however. Are you sure they are quoting a "code" replacement?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives