Securing gas line outlets

"The outlet fittings or piping shall be securely fastened in place."

Line drop from above. When I got no studs nearby, can I fasten to drywall?! With anchors? Need tricks...

Reply to
Fishface

The top of the footer is at floor level, and there is thick-ass tile on the floor and 4-1/4" up the wall! Took a half hour to drill a pilot hole through the stuff with a carbide bit (with cooling time).

Reply to
Fishface

Build posts from below?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We do not know what is your ordinance in you area however as long pipe is secure, it should not be the problem, however if that is gas line that you are hooking up to whatever. Pipe should come down with tee-of, the tee-of will hookup to whatever and on the bottom of tee you supposedly have apx. 10-12" nipple with the cap on it. Note this is black iron pipe!!! To my knowledge black iron pipe is use on natural gas in all states.

"The outlet fittings or piping shall be securely fastened in place."

Line drop from above. When I got no studs nearby, can I fasten to drywall?! With anchors? Need tricks...

Reply to
tony944

Thanks, guys. It turns out, this was a branch off the pipe I had going through the floor to the stove, and, uh, the pipe going through the floor was in the way of the dryer vent outlet. Duh! So I opened up the wall in back (in the garage), and found a multitude of water and waste pipes. This was right at the edge of the foundation, so drilling straight down through the footer was not an option. What I created in that tight space can only be described as a work of art. A 45° pipe now goes through the footer and the corner of the foundation is "chipped away" to allow passage. Everything is good, now, except the freestanding gas range I installed in place of the slide-in electric is spaced-out an extra inch and a half because of the 220v outlet being up high and in the middle?! Gonna use the existing box as a junction and move the outlet down a foot. I also have to move the light switches either up (tile) or to the other side of the wall... But it's all worth it. I really hated that Ceran top electric range in the new (to me) house, although I have to admit, the pot of water was quicker to boil. It's so much more rewarding to do this stuff for myself. I have to say, I do a better job because it's my time and I don't have to consider how much someone else is (not) paying for me to think. But f*ck up time, I always eat!

I do still have a 3/4" pipe dropping from the ceiling in the garage, though, that needs better support. Drop pipe is a foot from the wall. Left goes to water heater, right to furnace. Each connected with flexible stainless connectors. An electrical conduit going down wall behind the pipe to AC. Not supported at the bottom, and not my work, but I am compelled to make it more secure...

Reply to
Fishface