Recommend Installer Atlanta Area

I'm in the midst of getting estimates. Trying my best to compare apples with apples. From what I've read, I believe it will come down to who will do the best installation. I'd like some *unbiased* opinions from people who have had installations done by:

Peachtree Neese Jones B. Tucker

I've gotten a quote for a Lennox (Peachtree) and a Carrier (Neese Jones) so far. How much should I pay for 17 Seer for 2000 sq. ft. older two story home with one zone? I'll appreciate any advice. It's a very confusing purchase, to say the least.

If I'm in a group of installers, I apologize for asking for an unbiased opinion. Could you direct me to a group of consumers. Thanks, again, in advance for any info you can offer.

Reply to
katie

YES, you are in a group of business owners.

If you want to compare "apples to apples" you will need to have an Engineered Set of Drawings and hand it to each prospective company. That way, each bidder knows exactly what brand unit, what exact size, and every other exacting detail of the job. If you call up 24 different HVAC companies and just say, "Hey, Id like to get an estimate on a new 17 SEER AC you will get 24 different prices and 24 different ways to install and modify your current system along with any added options. Best bet......... Look for the installer who can provide the best installation and has a great repair service for your future needs. "Homework, Homework, Homework" Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Thank you very much for sound, honest advice. I am educating myself from several different sources and getting consumer opinions regarding the companies I'm inquiring about. Appreciate your time.

Reply to
katie

I take it you have already gotten prices from these guys? Best thing to do is ask neighbors, co-workers, and friends who they would/do use. Some contractors will be higher but you want one that has a good record not just a good price. And as someone else suggested you need to compare apples to apples. You may want to ask them what the SEER rating is on the system they are proposing. Yes I know, you stated 17 SEER. But not every system installed will GET you 17 SEER. I'll give you an example:

I can't remember the exact model of the air handler, but we installed 2 17 SEER Infinity systems in a house and one of them was actually only rated at about 15 SEER (even stated on the yellow government sticker attached to the unit). Now the system will achieve a total rating of 16 SEER with the air handler we were using, but still. Yes, Carrier even says that it states in their brochures that the units will get "up to 'X' SEER". Out of all of the size unit they have in each catagory, there will be a "trophy model" that will get that efficiency. Usually that mean a smaller unit like a 2 ton matched with a larger air handler (like a 5-ton). Now not all of them are like that. But some are. The customer was just a little upset that they were paying for a 17 SEER system and not getting it. In other words, they could have put in a 15 SEER outdoor unit with one of the variable speed air handlers and gotten a HIGHER SEER than the 17 SEER system AND for a lot less. We DID end up throwing in a lot of "freebies" and they were happy afterwards. I check ratings now beforehand.

O.K., one other example: The owner's daughter is building a house this summer. It will require a 4 Ton and a 2 Ton A/C systems. She wanted to go with the highest efficiency units availble so I looked at the Carrier Infinity 21 SEER. The BEST that you can achieve from the 4 Ton unit was

16.4!!! Strange...
Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab