Question About Upgrading...

Hello all,

I live in an approximately 45yr old home heated by hot water(hydronic) heat, and an old Chrysler AirTemp central air unit. The boiler is an old Burham Holiday that has started leaking in several locations, and the expansion tank is pretty much shot. The central air system is a totally separate stand-alone unit, just like the boiler. Both operate on two separate thermostats, White-Rodgers for the heat, and Honeywell for the air. If it gives you any idea how archaic these two systems are, does anyone remember the old Honeywell thermostats that had the little knob on the left-hand side to select your desired temperature? I know the old Chrysler units are LONG obsolete, and I had trouble finding a contractor who could even locate parts for it(one guy had never even heard of them)...

I am thinking about retiring the old boiler system and installing a new furnace/central air/electronic air cleaner. My question is, can this be done, will there by any major modifications needed to the ductwork, and how much should I be prepared to spend on such a project? Would it make more sense to just buy a new boiler and new central air system? What are some of the makes/models I should consider, and those I would be advised to stay away from? I've heard mixed things about Carrier/Tempstar/etc... I've budgeted roughly $5000(can) for this project, give or take a couple hundred...

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Dave.

Reply to
fault_of_bush2

fault_of snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote

Glad to hear you're thinking of changing it all. You need to have a few quotes done by qualified techs who understand air flow requirements and heat loss/cooling loads. It's impossible to tell you what you should or shouldn't do without seeing it. I would recommend getting a Space Guard air cleaner instead of an electronic one. Better filtration and no carcinogenic ozone production. Stay the course and get new stuff. More efficient, safer, improved re-sale value of your home.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Thanks for the advice Bob,

At least someone in this newsgroup doesn't seem to be on the pipe... I'm calling a few contractors on Monday, including a few buddies of mine who have some "connections" in the HVAC business, that could maybe cut me some deals. I've got to do something because both units are barely hanging on as it is. The old AirTemp limped through the whole summer, but she's so rusted out and tired, and frankly has seen better days. My boiler is actually a 24volt NG fired system that is also past its prime. Over the years I've had a few motor bearings and pump seals replaced, but the system has sprung leaks in two separate spots, and I've been having pressure problems for 2 years now. Can't turn my thermostat beyond 72 degrees or she gets too hot... I believe the bladder in the expansion tank is probably gone as well...

Thanks for your advice about the air cleaners too. I have a son with asthma/allergies, and he will be very grateful that I've finally decided to put one in...

-Dave

Reply to
fault_of_bush2

So your Burnham went on Holiday?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Get lost you non research smart ass fundie idiot.

Dave here: "I got 6 bills here and I want to buy the world!"

Sounds like a 75k job to me but I will have to be flown to your site to examine existing conditions. Remember this the minimum.

Reply to
Tekkie®

CHRIST ALMIGHTY! You people seriously need to be admitted to the looney bin. Honestly, I've never seen such a bunch of comedic actors... And to think that this whole thread started over me asking A SIMPLE question! Nonetheless, I'm through here. Enjoy your little sideshow you 13yr old immature jerks.

Reply to
fault_of_bush2
Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

what did you expect from this group? don't you read the posts here to see the conversations before you stuck your pecker in the hole in the fence? This is a great place to enjoy. you can't buy this much fun if you paid for it.

CHRIST ALMIGHTY! You people seriously need to be admitted to the looney bin. Honestly, I've never seen such a bunch of comedic actors... And to think that this whole thread started over me asking A SIMPLE question! Nonetheless, I'm through here. Enjoy your little sideshow you 13yr old immature jerks.

Reply to
DIMwit

Would you be ever so kind as to report back to us about the quotes that you get. I am sure it'll be between 3500-6000 for the boiler, and 3500-6500 for the AC depending on what they replace and the quality of equipment. These are low end quotes. Since you are not buying from anyone in this pissy little news group it would be nice to hear back from you so you can show us how close to your budgeted amount you get.

Thanks,

One of the other Bob's

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

The short answer is your job should be no more then 4500 for the good stuff. Times are hard and work is hard to come by. The best place to find a installation tech is at the hvac supply house at closing time.

St>Hello all,

Reply to
FreeRanger-HVAC

If you have the duct work to blow AC around, it's very possible that you could get heat and AC through the same ducts.

I'd be tempted to call a couple of the companies in your local phone book.

As to brands, Rheem and Rudd (same thing as each other) are respected. Goodman is the discount line. Though, they do make acceptable equipment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Seeing your title, suggesting that bush is the fault of everything, I suggest you ask all the innocent Muslim's for a solution. While your at it, console them for being accused of being at fault for 9-1, after all, it was Bush that flew personally into the Towers and Pentagon, its all his fault.

Or our liberals who frequent here will be happy to help

Reply to
Geoman

Seeing your title, suggesting that bush is the fault of everything, I suggest you ask all the innocent Muslim's for a solution. While your at it, console them for being accused of being at fault for 9-1, after all, it was Bush that flew personally into the Towers and Pentagon, its all his fault.

Or our liberals who frequent here will be happy to help

Reply to
Geoman

Where is this fence you are talking about?

Is this yet another MINION benefit I have not been getting?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Oscar,

every NYC construction site has a fence around it. they sometimes have holes in them to peek through

some holes are smaller and guys experiment

Reply to
DIMwit

For once I agree with Stormy.

Mr. Bushis @ fault for everything, Get yourself a goodman, you can put it in yourself. I'll help you with the sizing of everything, just send me a floor plan, its easy to size ducts, you just use 1.50 inch's on the ductalator and everything will work great,

Glad I can be of future help Mr Bush @fault guy. Just post your addy and I'll do what I can to help. If youwant an GREAT system well use 2.0 inch's of static and save you some money as well..

Rich

Reply to
Geoman

LOL!!! Just the type of hole I would get!

Reply to
Geoman