Propane weight

500gal propane heating tank -how much does the gas alone weigh?
Reply to
Frank

I did a Google search for you:

One of the resulting links shows this:

Also, read the other links for more information.

Looks like a 500 gallon propane tank actually holds 400 gallons of propane when full. At 4.2 pounds per gallon of propane (the weight of liquid propane), a "full" 500-gallon propane tank (80% -- 400 gallons) would have about 1,680 pounds of propane in it.

Reply to
TomR

Oops, my Google search should have been for,

"How many gallons are in a 500 gallon propane tank?"

and not for,

"How many gallons are in a 500-pound gallon propane tank?"

TomR

Not exactly. A 500 gallon tank can hold up to 500 gallons of propane. Suppliers won't fill it 100% to allow for expansion and to allow enough surface area for the gas to bubble off the liquid at a sufficient rate to supply high demand like furnaces.

The supplier link provided suggests using 400 gallons as a working number. My supplier regularly fills to 90%, so 450 gallons. That said, it depends on what the meter reads...

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Makes sense.

Reply to
TomR

"Frank" wrote in message news:57935$57e6a649$a2d350aa$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

The gas weighs next to nothing.

The liquid weighs 4.2 lbs/gallon

So, what is in the tank?

Reply to
catalpa

replying to Frank, Tony944 wrote: While we think of "Propane" is being same all over it is not, it depend what area (locality) you are in, because of change in temperature Propane is mix for particular area so Gas pressure can be high enough for user in cold parts of country compare to, in higher temp. Area where gas pressure can be kept lower for same delivery capacity. When I said Gas pressure I am talking about Liquid it self, Liquid pressure changes with Local temperatures. That is why mixture is used, so that demand pressure is reliable for that locality. Is been many years since I worked with this but the gas companies should be able to respond to this!

Reply to
Tony944

This is the reason why people should do their own research instead of comin g to places like this for answers. Especially when it involves ?ma fh".

Reply to
ftwhd

replying to Frank, Tony944 wrote: Rough estimate between 1600-1700lb.

Reply to
Tony944