NEED DESIGN HELP FOR TIGHT HOUSE

We are getting ready to do a custom home with 4 Geo systems. Tight Icynene house. We are putting in an ERV, possibly 2. The builder asked me about soemthing I wasn't very sure about. Is there an ERV system that batroom exhausts get fed back into. I have googled and didn't really see anything. I would just be afraid of the mixing of bathroom gasses with make up air.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

We are getting ready to do a custom home with 4 Geo systems. Tight Icynene house. We are putting in an ERV, possibly 2. The builder asked me about soemthing I wasn't very sure about. Is there an ERV system that batroom exhausts get fed back into.

I found some info on piping the Bath exhausts directly into the ERV, does that mean that it no longer gets connected to the return ducting. I am having multiple zones with a common return. I do not understand why you would do this.

I have googled and didn't really see anything. I would just be afraid of the mixing of bathroom gasses with make up air.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Well, it might depend on your part of the country. In the hot-humid part, where I live, you really want to exhaust bathroom air straight outside and not try to recover anything from it. The reason being that you don't want that humidity put back into the incoming air stream. So, around here, you'll typically not connect your ERV to the main HVAC, and you won't be putting exhaust vents in bathrooms or other humid locations.

Now, in a cold/dry climate, I can see where you might well want that heat and humidity, so you could make a case for placing ERV exhaust vents in the bathrooms. But, I would think you'd want to make sure your bathroom exhaust goes outside, and let the ERV transfer the heat/humidty to some fresh, incoming outside air.

Reply to
Thermal Guy

We are getting ready to do a custom home with 4 Geo systems. Tight Icynene house. We are putting in an ERV, possibly 2. The builder asked me about soemthing I wasn't very sure about. Is there an ERV system that batroom exhausts get fed back into.

I found some info on piping the Bath exhausts directly into the ERV, does that mean that it no longer gets connected to the return ducting. I am having multiple zones with a common return. I do not understand why you would do this.

I have googled and didn't really see anything. I would just be afraid of the mixing of bathroom gasses with make up air.

Reply to
Noon-Air

How do you transfer the humidity?

-zero