Sorry for the long post, but I need some usenet points of view....
SWMBO and I are looking at homesites for a new custom home.
We found a lot we like in an area we like (Northeast Ohio). There are
not a lot of available sites in the area to choose from. It's one of
9 lots converted from an old farm field. 6 of the lots have been
The developer drilled test wells on 3 of the lots, one of which is the
one we're interested in. Here's the problem.
The test well was drilled 140', and tested out at only 1 gpm. I
talked to both the well driller that drilled the well, and another
that does work in the area. Both indicated that reliable wells have
been hit or miss in the general area. I'm told that 10 gpm is about
the minimum they like to see for unrestricted use, and 20 is much
better. The other two test wells tested at 10 and 15 gpm respectively
but are at the other side of the development, about 1500 and 2500 feet
away respectively. None of the sites closer to the good wells are
available. The drillers indicate drilling deeper won't help because
there is a salt water aquifer farther down. Wells on the properties
surrounding the development range from 3 gpm to 20, with more on the
I'm told with a low yield well, I can put in a storage tank of 500+
gallons that is supplied from the well and it then allows normal flow.
I'm also told this would be adequate for normal household use, but
would not be sufficient for lawn watering or extensive gardening, etc.
I'm not too worried about the lawn, other than putting it in
initially, but do garden and landscape extensively.
Other option would be a big cistern, rain fed or supplied from a
I"ve lived the last 10 years with a low yield spring feeding a storage
tank, and it has been a problem several times, so I am not keen on
My options as I see them:
1. Walk away and wait for a better lot. We do know of another lot
that is less desireable for other reasons but in an area of reliable
2. I've talked to the developer and they would probably be willing to
accept an offer that was contingent on us drilling another well (at
our expense) and finding a higher yield, at least 10 gpm. This would
cost about $2000-2500. The well drillers are more than willing to do
this, but think the probability of success is less than 50%. FWIW the
lot is 5 acres and if we picked a site at the opposite end of the lot
from the current site it would be about 250 feet closer to the two
I'd like to hear from others with low yield well experiences and
general opinions as to which way to go. Right now I'm leaning toward
option 2. We are not under any particular deadline to find a lot,
other than a general desire to build our new place and move as soon as
(you know what to leave out)