If it's a kerosene heater used inside then it's pretty much 100%
efficient. Everything that is burned is released in the room. So many
BTU's per gallon is exactly what you get. On the other hand, if it's
really an oil furnace using kerosene, with proper venting and a heat
exchanger, then the efficiency must be less than 100%. The exact
efficiency is rated by the manufacturer. This information will be
readily available when you go shopping.
With the exception of a few new diesel engines, I find kerosene a very
messy, stinky fuel to use. I have a brother that heats his tiny home
with kerosene heaters. The whole inside smells bad all winter and I
think he has lost more than a few brain cells to the contamination.
I remember when it was a fad to use those heaters. You would go to
someones house and they would declare "this is great, I am saving so
much money and you can't even smell it..." . Then leaving with stinking
clothes, watery eyes and a tickle in your throat.
Yes, I remember those old kero heaters. Lets not forget the headache,
and double vision you'd get from the fumes. OK for power cuts, and
sure a blessing for when the electric is out. But the rest of the
time, well, too much like work.
And how much do you save to spend $200 on a heater, and then save 20%
of the efficiency compared to using the furnace?
Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
I used to live in a place out in the country heated with kerosene. At
the time, I was working second shift. One day, the fractional (as
opposed to metric) combination wrench set I had ordered at Sears had
come in. I picked them up and went to my job.
That afternoon, the snow started (this was probably in February). It
was about midnight when, after a slow trip, I got back home to find
that the fuel feed line from the tank to the heater was blocked by ice.
My roommate had stayed in town, so the house had several hours to cool
down. It was up to me to fix the line. I pulled out my brand new
wrenches and broke them in. I opened the line, went inside, and abused
some substance as the warmth filled the house.
I associate that smell with warmth. I love that smell.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.