In the world of Green, ? for all you contractors

I am asking because I am looking for a local resource but as our industry is not the focus, we are often overlooked as HVAC contractors. Our competitors are not doing this so I am asking the masses for your input.

The question: what resources are you using to recycle oil filters from oil fueled products? Our area is exploding with green builds right now and it is not unusual for retrofit to request the same. To keep from being a hypocrite, what are you doing other than sending them to landfill via dumpster?

There are plenty of companies targeting the automotive repair industry but recycling of wool filter soaked in fuel oil doesn't apply? They are even reselling the automotive filters and byproducts to be used for energy production...how many households use fuel oil and need to have it serviced? Are we not missing a viable energy source here? Are you actually pressing the filters before disposal?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reply to
becauseofjunk

Don't need to....

I usually wash used oil filters out with gasoline. You can use the gasoline to light the pile of newspaper and other burnable trash, or just dump it on the gound to evaporate. The freshly cleaned oil filters can then either be reused, or put in the garbage can.

Reply to
Mo Hoaner