HELP: Payne status codes question

HELP ...

I am trying to troubleshoot a Payne furnace problem and I'm almost ready to call a service tech but will try this newsgroup first:

background:

  1. furnace sat for almost a year, installed new in 1998
  2. I lit the furnace about 2 weeks ago when service was turned on
  3. electrician (non-licensed) has been rewiring the house, replacing old "tube and knob" wiring.
  4. furnace and thermostat ran fine for 2 weeks
5 furnace no longer lights or heats.
  1. furnace circuit to box was replaced with new wire to 20amp breaker

What I've done:

  1. replaced thermostat
  2. checked continuity of thermostat wires (OK)
  3. replaced HSI because sanding on old one cracked it (I was warned)
  4. component test jumper wire between COM and TEST shows continuous LED according to front panel this means: "Control has 24V power"
  5. the 3amp fuse link is still good
  6. checked hot wire (115V) and ground wire (no current)

Q: what the heck does that mean - what does it indicate? just that 24V is going to the board? Status OK? Q: how do I test the breaker itself; was not a new one but I'm getting

115V at the black wire feeding the board Q: if I inadvertently swapped the red and white wires from thermostat to board would this matter? (2-wire thermostat) Q any way to test the board?

When I turn on the pilot control and feed power to the appliance, then turn up the thermostat I get continuous LED "control has 24V power"

Suggestions for anything else I can test?

thanks in advance for any free advice,

Michael

M Kirkpatrick

No. Go to alt.home.repair.

Your sanity, for messing around with it.

You're welcome.

Reply to
pjm

All,

This is the first chance to turn this group from a spwtic tank to a place of help.

The answer could be: You shouldn't mess with this man....

It could be check this, or that.

As long as the answer treats the poster with the dignity he deserves as a human, all is good.

Turtle? Mike?

Reply to
Matt Morgan

keep f*cking with something you have absolutely no knowledge about. Maybe you'll get lucky and burn your house down, or worse yet, kill yourself and your family. Hint: call someone trained on repairing gas furnaces. Most especially after a brain-dead electrician has re-wired the 120 volts to it.

Reply to
gofish

I see now.

M Kirkpatrick; disregard this post.

Both you and I have been taken by another of PJM's minions.

No matter.

Reply to
Matt Morgan

Should have called the tech first

Big red flag here..... who pulled the permit and arranged for the rough in and final inspections?? But thats ok...I guess you go to an unlicensed doctor cause he's cheaper too.

DOH!!!

lemee guess..... the furnace quit when the new wires were run.

That will fix anything

sheesh

Your real lucky here

Ya think there might be a problem here??

Means you ain't got a clue, call somebody that does.

DOH!!!

dunno... does it go both ways??

yes

and???

Your dialling finger to call a *competent*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician.

Unfortunately your answers required thought... Please send $64.95 via PayPal.

Reply to
Noon-Air

HAHAHAHAHAHA Gawd-dang Matt, are you ever wet behind the ears. A PJM minion. ROFLMAO

Let me repeat myself in case you failed to hear the first time:

alt.hvac IS NOT FOR HOMEOWNERS

what part of that do you fail to comprehend?

If Joe Homeowner wants to post his "please help me my furnace is broke" crap in here, I figure he's fair game.

I'm all for helping a homeowner or anyone else that is asking for generic information, but wiring up a new thermostat or fixing their own broken furnace/ac crap, all bets are off.

You have stated your agenda is cleaning up alt.hvac. the very first plank on your platform better be informing ALL HOMEOWNERS to take their posts to an appropriate forum, such as alt.home.repair.

Reply to
gofish

the cancelling cat diddler speaks

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Reply to
Shaun

I've always thought of you as a minion, Fish ..... :-)

`His only agenda is to make an asshole out of himself until he sobers up and finds a new job.

He thinks he's a 'big man' now, he doesn't realize he's still a crying little girl in wet panties.

He confuses my boredom with bitch-slapping him with an inability to do so. Silly little girl.

Reply to
pjm

Are you really this ignorant? Re-read the OP's post. Does this sound like someone that has a clue? Just how dangerous a piece of equipment do you think a gas furnace can be in the hands of a novice? It's obvious from this guy's post he's got about 1/100 of the knowledge necessary to even take the cover off and stick his hands in there. Look at the first thing he did when his furnace didn't work. Changed the friggin' t-stat. And sanded an HSI?

Fish gave him the best advice he could have. Problem is you're too ignorant of the trade to know that.

Reply to
Steve Scott

Steve, Forgive his ignorance, he's only a plumber. Just flush him...down the killfile.

Reply to
Noon-Air

So. we continue to see the same behavior:

1: PJM, who is incompetent; states he has kill filled me; and continues to reply to me.

2: GoFish, who is another paul sock puppet; who I suspect is actually Bill.... supporting whatever PJ says.

And so, at this point not too much has actualy changed, except PJ has called out his emergency reserves.

PJ - your days here are numbered, and dwindle by the minute.

Botom line is you couldn't diagnose or fix an HVAC issue any more than you could debug a 1982 basic program.

Prepare yourslef PJ. As you pull each 'trick' out of your hat, you reveal a deeper level of the scum you really are.

But you knew that, didn't you?

----- Original Message ----- From: "M Kirkpatrick" Newsgroups: alt.hvac Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 6:56 PM Subject: HELP: Payne status codes question

Reply to
Matt Morgan

were these thoughs before or after you cancelled my posts....... :-) ok ok ok

ahhhhh, I see.......someone else's minion :-)

Jabs, can I be your minion?

Reply to
gofish

Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

Reply to
Matt Morgan

Given your endearing new sig, I'll refrain from responding to that one.

Heads up Jabs - he don't pay his dues worth a damn....

Reply to
pjm

Noon-Air: you will never get that new truck at those rates. At least charge what you're REALLY WORTH for internet help. :-)

Remember, Jabs gets $96 via PayPal, and he lives in a hovel.

Reply to
gofish

You would know, minion master.

Reply to
Matt Morgan

Super! I'm happy to hear that the minion dues are transferable to another honcho.

Already got my tax credit, too!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

shut up cat boi

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Reply to
Shaun

Best suggestion I've seen today, was wondering why I haven't already dumped him, this guy got old fast Paul, you'll have to do better next time. He does sound like he and stormy and Dave would have a good time together though... :)

PLONK!

Reply to
Joseph