help it is cold

My house has two zoned heat. The upstairs is warm and the thermastat seems to be regulating when the heat upstairs goes on and off. But the downstairs is freezing. The heat won't go on and everytime I try to change the setting on the thermastat is won't take the changes and the heat won't go on. Before I call in a service person would it be best if I just go to Home Depot and buy a new thermastat?

Reply to
risakaplan

Yep, sounds like the thermastat is bad. Replace it with a new digital programmable one. The cheap ones are no good--be sure to get one of the more expensive ones at Home Depot. (Don't worry, the most expensive thermastat at Home Depot is way cheaper than the ones that those HVAC crooks sell with all their markup.)

You may also need to replace the thermastat wiring with new digital thermastat wiring.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

posted for all of us...

Yes, believe PJM but I also recommend new wire, anchors and wire ties and clips, do the job right!

Reply to
Tekkie®

before you go to home cheapo, try putting in new batteries in the downstairs t-stat. if that doesnt work, smash it with a framing hammer.

Reply to
gofish

Absoloutely. There is no reason at all to call a repair guy. Replacing the thermostat will fix the problem, guaranteed. If that doesn't do it, get the next model fancier thermostat.

On the other hand, there is a lot you didn't ask, and a lot I didn't write.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

NO

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

The only true statement I think I have ever heard you make...

Reply to
blueman

I assume the thermostat you are talking about here is the upstairs one for the upstairs zone.

Are you talking about a different downstairs thermostat now? Do you have any heat in this (downstairs) zone? Are you saying that no matter how high you turn up the thermostat, the heat fails to turn on? Did you have any problems with heat balance in similar weather in other years?

If you are reasonably handy and can afford to take your time, by all means try to diagnose the problem yourself first. However, you have not given nearly enough information to determine whether or not the thermostat is even an issue -- however, thermostats themselves are pretty reliable (unless you forget to change the batteries or get hit by lightening)

Reply to
blueman

now blueman is giving HVAC advice. I find that very amusing

Reply to
DIMwit

thermostat you are talking about here is the upstairs one

Reply to
risakaplan

Smurf: The wannabe hvac tech. Forget it dude. You dont have a clue. You must have really been burnt good for an expensive filter change from us. Hahahaha Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Write even less and STFU...

Reply to
Joseph

Yes, if you like spending money on useless parts.

Reply to
<kjpro

Notice, he did say "crooks", that doesn&#39;t include "all" HVAC Companies.

Reply to
<kjpro

And "A LOT" that Chris doesn&#39;t understand. LOL

Reply to
<kjpro

After reading your dibble in this post, you really are CLUELESS!

Reply to
<kjpro

Okay, now that you&#39;ve been run past the gauntlet...

So many "zoned heat" systems out there that your post above is all but meaningless for lack of more specific info.

Now, with that said, ( and since you apparently have at least two thermostats ) and appears concievable that maybe that the downstairs thermostat is faulty--then suggest take it loose from the wall and then jumper the R to the W*** ( and G ( if available ) terminal(s) together--which should open up any dampers, valves whatever...as well as cause an eventual fire up of the primary heat source.

If that seems to work, then definately your downstairs thermostat is defective.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

DUH!

You could try a fiber furnace, All you need is a handful of wood and a match.

Reply to
Da Cable Guy

Kenny I thought you had more brains than to continously feed this troll.

Do yourself and us a favor and put him in your killfile and ignore the clueless f*ck.

Reply to
gofish

Sometimes, I like to point out the obvious.

But, I try not to make it a habit. :-)

Reply to
<kjpro