Furnace Filter Szie

This summer we had a new Trane furnace and air conditioner installed. The furnace filter size was left the same size from the old unit. I was told by someone that when they had their furnace upgraded the installer redid the return for a larger filter. They told them that had to be done because there was more airflow.

We had the same furnace installed but our filter size was left the same

16x25x1.

Is this correct about the airflow? How do I know if we are undersized as far as the filter is concerned?

Trane XL16i

Thanks

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 27791 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ductape1

I had my HVAC contractor install a Trion Air Bear filter in my existing system last spring. They said it was less restrictive than the pair of

16x20x1's previously installed and that I wouldn't need to replace the filter as often.

I was skeptical about the filter replacement since I have multiple pets (5 cats) but it turns out they were right. I only need to replace the filter twice per year, once at the beginning of cooling season and once at the beginning of heating season. I used to replace the pair of

16x20x1's (MERV 11's) once per month.

Now I've got better air flow making the system more efficient and although the Air Bear filters cost more I'm not replacing them as often which equates to money saved and a more comfortable house.

The cost of the Air Bear installation was reasonable and was money very well spent. You may want to consider the same.

Reply to
Black Dragon

greenhvactech had written this in response to

:

------------------------------------- Black Drag> ductape1 wrote:

what size unit is it and how many sqf is living area

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac - 27798 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
greenhvactech

[...]

Feel free to post using a proper news reader and NNTP server instead of the web based abomination you're currently using, and I might be inclined to discuss your query.

In other words, take your spam like BBS crap and shove it back up your ass.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Ever stop to think, this *may* be the only way they know how to access this group?

Reply to
KJPRO

Air Bear filters are manufactured by Trion Inc. They basically have three different size filters,

16X25X5 20X20X5 20X25X5 The first two are rated at 1400 CFM and the last one is rated at 2000 CFM. The 20X25 comes in two configerations, straight through and right angle. The right angle is nice to use in a basement. It has a door in the front and back, allowing the installer to install it on either side of the furnace. This allows the user easy access to change the filter. Here's a couple links to the companies website, so you can look over the units.

I would guess his installer changed his 16X25X1 out with a 16X25X5.

Reply to
KJPRO

Then they should be Darwined out.

Reply to
HVAC

Nope. Two 16x20x1 filters sat at an angle on two rails in a "cabinet" next to the furnace. The installer removed the two angled rails, cut a 25x5 hole in the side of the cabinet and installed 4 rails to accept a 20x25x5 filter. I no longer need to remove the door from the cabinet to change filters now, just slide them in and out from the side.

Reply to
Black Dragon