Evap Coils not all sweating

hvacrmedic , worried the bone with:

ahh.. one hack/lamer that just had to have a bite :-!

Difficult to comprehend having your self anointed MD status challenged, yes snookums :-/

ICE

Reply to
ard[H20]

If you'd do everything you suggested to the OP when you went on a call like that, then you probably don't own a set of gauges. First thing I'd do is check superheat and subcool, cause odds would be in favor of the thing being low on refrigerant. Regardless of that, your conclusions and methods were just plain incorrect. You're not only a troll, by your own admission, but you're giving out incorrect advice and that can be more than an irritation to any homeowner who accidentally takes it seriously. Hvac systems can be deadly to the untrained.

Reply to
hvacrmedic

hvacrmedic , sniffled:

You do not post crap. You post as a newbie(trade). Stormin - over there in the corner - will be smiling and thinking "oh doody, me got a fwend". You are the one attempting to troll, and poorly I would add.

All of my post was built for the Home Owner as a generic process to carry out prior to making a call __IF the call is needed__. You, like many Hacks, have a problem with that (advice). I find no fault in that, merely laugh at your insecurity. Making the statement "your conclusions and methods were just plain incorrect" just does not cut it, Pal. You will have to put your finger on exactly that which you believe is "incorrect advice". anything else is just Bluster and Bullshit, of which there is Plenty in this NG.

FYI - there was a time when I myself was well able to use the six senses and a clamp/tong meter to sort _any_ problem in the vapor compression cycle for units under 20ton. For systems beyond that a sling physchrometer and maybe an anemometer could be added for distribution diagnostics. It is known as "non invasive diagnostics". Practiced adeptly there is no problem achieving a positive result for the client. You have yet to get to that level of competence, I see :-] You hang as much "crap"[sic] on my advice as you like, you will not change the Facts nor the results for those who _choose_ to use it.

As an observation. Thank pHuck you (and those like you who claim MD status) are _not_ a practising clinician, otherwise we would _all_ be wearing Nappies from the overly enthusiastic reaming of the ass in investigating _why_ we had a headache.

And please do fix that POS you are using to post with. Not only is it borking the thread, it is also attributing statements to my posting I did not make. I have fixed it this time, do it again and I _will_ kick your butt. 0K :->

ICE

Reply to
ard[H20]

So, how do we find a master technician? If I could find one that I could trust I would never ask for advice here again. Seriously, I am a lazy bastard and almost considered calling for installation of my programmable thermostat. I would have paid for it but I didn't know who to call. Fortunately, it all worked out okay when I did it.

Around here (Phoenix) you just can't tell. I was in a fast food joint the other day and saw a guy eating with a shirt that said "Master Heat Pump Technician" on it. Shit, to me he looked like he just got out of Sheriff Joe's tent city jail. No way would I let him into my house.

So, if you really want us homeowners to leave you alone, let us know how to find a good, knowledgeable, technician. I have no problem paying for that. What I do have a problem paying for is a bullshitter who knows less about the problem than I do; his solution is usually, "I'll just add a little gas."

What do you guys think about calling the local power company for a referral? Both APS and SRP push their list of "Approved contractors" when they are encouraging pre-season checkups.

Normally it's a joke.

Reply to
<kjpro

We&#39;ll take it line by line then.

How many fans (I note you said "all") do you suppose the unit has? How do you suppose the homeowner is going to check for correct speed? How do you suppose the speed of the fans might relate to a starved evaporator coil? Your statment was so immaterial to the problem that it doesn&#39;t deserve further discussion. Unless the condenser fan motor simply wasn&#39;t running, fan speed isn&#39;t a concern in this case.

Also immaterial based upon the observed symptoms. A reduction in indoor air volume would tend to cause oversaturation of a coil that has fixed metering, and no major change to superheat in a TXV system, although the outlet of the coil would experience a drop in temperature, and thus presumable a greater tendency to condense moisture. Another strawman, but let&#39;s continue to explore your idiocy.

Same as above.

Why change the blower speed? If it was adjusted correctly at start-up, then changing it will adversely affect performance, and alter what would otherwise be normal readings for the system.

Differential readings don&#39;t require calibration of the thermometer readings. Unneccesary corrections are a waste of the homeowners time.

Have any citations to support that sentiment? ASHRAE, white papers, manufacture&#39;s data, etc.?

The only rule of thumb is that most people have two of them. deltaT can vary wildly depending upon indoor and outdoor conditions, and especially upon the design of the system itself.

If the system has fixed metering, and is a little low on refrigerant, then blocking indoor air flow will serve only to reduce superheat and saturated temp, i.e. actually cause even sweating, which is quite the opposite of your claim. Bristol actaully recommends checking superheat under that condition (blower motor disabled), but given the low saturated temp that this causes, the outlet of the evap will be below freezing, and thus presumably below dewpoint, even with 5-15 deg superheat. I&#39;ll let you calculate how high the superheat must be under this condition before the outlet ceases to be below dewpoint. If you don&#39;t derive a substantial refrigeration problem, then I think enough has been said.

To clear it of what? What the hell are you blocking the flow for anyway, when you can just disable the blower motor?

Always a good idea, for a tech who knows what he&#39;s doing, but the average homeowner usually doesn&#39;t even know that a dirty condenser is a problem. And why should they look for oil stains, are they going to repair the leak themselves? If it&#39;s leaking, they&#39;ll know something is wrong soon enough. Let the tech do the leak searching.

Something obvious, same advice.

Do

The more info the better. I let the customer tell me everthing and anything that they&#39;ve noticed. Always a good practice. MD&#39;s even insist upon it with their patients.

The readings you suggested won&#39;t mean a thing to the homeowner, in fact they won&#39;t mean much to even the experienced tech unless the readings are way out of range.

I think you&#39;ve proven how much of a professional you are. The question is "professional what"?

I&#39;m glad you&#39;re enjoying offering bogus advice.

Reply to
hvacrmedic

If you had a legitmate e-mail address, I would put you in touch with a couple of really good techs in Phoenix area.

Reply to
Noon-Air

hvacrmedic , cut bait with:

Sure, keep in mind my words to the OP re "freebies".

snip

All.

NMP. The OP is a self helper, or professes to be. You would be amazed at just what help one can generate for oneself, given the motivation and a _little_ direction. I say "you would be amazed" as obviously you have never had to help yourself. When the day comes you will remember this thread... and wish.

Write me using for directions on where to place a DD. With an amount down as Good Faith we can then continue with lessons on a contract or piecework, your choice. I may be retired but I will not work for free. IF you are one of those who think the aged should willingly grant whippersnappers the benefit of their accumulated knowledge (in detail) then think again. You do the yards the same way I had to, Young Fella.

What was that you were saying about "crap"? I think I jes stood in some :-D

snip

Save the "I yam a tech/medic so I has all this technical BS to unload" for the apprentices. Does not wash here and impresses nobody, that Truth is very obvious. All of my original response was generic advice, as a process. Grant the OP and other readers enough Brain Space to adapt what fits to their own specific purpose.

snip

You have difficulty with the word "generic" I see. Hint. Has nothing to do with building clones of your Mom.

snip

That lesson after you get a DD up.

snip

Hardly. The gentleman(?) needs to know there is no great imparity between what he feels and what he reads. DeltaT cannot be calculated when the readings are not the readings at the point of testing. The whole process (self help) relies on persons being astute in that which they . Alcohol thermometers are renown for their inaccuracy. Calibrated Hg would not be justified as a cost, in this case.

Again to the OP. Calibrate whatever you buy.

snip

If you had them, and they were contradictory, you would have published them. You will not get me doing your work. Least, not until you get a DD up.

snip

You have a significant number of haphazard installs behind you, then.

snip

Save the "I yam a tech/medic so I has all this technical BS to unload" for the apprentices. Does not wash here and impresses nobody, that Truth is very obvious.

snip

That lesson after you get a DD up.

That lesson after you get a DD up.

Excuse me ! What happened to your "HVAC is dangerous" argument? You wish for the OP to now start disconnecting wiring/drives or whatever on your say so. Have you that medic ticket/licence at the ready?

snip

IF the OP had not yet worked that out you have now fixed the grey area. See you can help, if forced :-D.

Again, being a non-selfhelper you would not appreciate the options someone with self-help skills has.

SH&#39;r: "Hellooo, Acme Hacks" AH: "Yus Sir" SH&#39;r: " My has a huge oil stain on the pan and around this pipe that has maybe 30 other small pipes coming from it, you think gas could get out from there?" AH: "Why certainly, Sir" SH&#39;r:: "How much to fix something like that?" AH: "$1200, Sir" SH&#39;r:: "Thank you" click...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

snip

Do I hear a Polly?

/looking around for crackers

Struth, you are plain out of Luck. Starve :-p

snip

There you go with that MD s**te again. When are you and your Hack Buddies here going to get it through your thick skulls that split HVAC is _not _ Rocket Science. In fact the whole of VC as a working medium is far from overly technical in the bigger scope of technical engineering disciplines. Medicos are a different kettle of fish to the guy who fronts your door waving his "gauges" at you. Just for starters it is a very sure bet the guy has had no more diagnostic training than what he has managed to develop himself, depending on his exposure. Reading this NG I would offer it is a fair bet that training amounts to Zilch. Therefore I stay with what I originally offered. The OP can decide for themselves, if need be.. or circumstance change.

snip

Somehow I wonder just what it does take to maintain a business in your County. A high degree of self important arrogance, perhaps?

snip the sophomoric histrionics

It is noted you are still having trouble with that POS you use. There is a brand (as in branding steers) given to Google Gropers. Your posting is living testament to the worthiness of such disdain. I do put up with the garbage as I know you know no better. It is very obvious you have even less a grip on NNTP matters than you do about the field you wish to debate (HVAC). Prep school is over. Graduate to something that works or take your sad and sorry ass away from this thread. Again, I fixed your post - no more.

ICE

Reply to
ard[H20]

then.http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/phys136d/modules/m3/secondlaw.htm>

So you want to discuss physics now. Let&#39;s have a go at it. Explain the significance of Noether&#39;s Theorem, and how it applies to the above three laws. No copying and pasting please.

Reply to
hvacrmedic

hvacrmedic , wisely folded with:

[..]

Best you sit under those skirts sucking your thumb, until a medic arrives. You might just risk having yet another ring reamed out, theoretically.

ICE

Reply to
ard[H20]

[edit -

^^_Another? When was the first time? I didn&#39;t address the ^^_points in your previous reply simply because my first ^^_reply to it still stands. Your advice was totally ^^_meaningless to homeowners, and most of it was ^^_just plain wrong.

Idiot Alert.

/0ff

Reply to
ard[H20]