Does this inducer fan on my new furnace look normal?

Here's a video of the inducer fan on my new Carrier 58CVA forced air gas fu= rnace: =20

When capturing this video, the furnace was shut off and I had spun the fan = by hand. It spins very freely, and it even seems to spin on its own at the= slightest air current (or whatever). =20

Just wondering if the "wobbly" appearance means it is out of balance and ca= using it to be noisier than it should be. If you stare at the lower left h= edge of the fan as it spins you'll see what I mean. Let me know if you thi= nk this looks normal. You could click on the "Change Quality" button (whic= h looks like a gear) for a better quality video.

Thanks. =20

Jayn123

hand. It spins very freely, and it even seems to spin on its own at the slightest air current (or whatever).

causing it to be noisier than it should be. If you stare at the lower left hedge of the fan as it spins you'll see what I mean. Let me know if you think this looks normal. You could click on the "Change Quality" button (which looks like a gear) for a better quality video.

That's the plastic cooling fan for the motor and it's so light it shouldn't have any effect on the bearings but if the heavier metal blade inside the housing is warped it would cause a failure. The cooling fan blades can be noisy but it's harmless. You can always check on a replacement blade which is held on by a push nut and easy to remove/replace. I've never seen a draft inducer that was quiet. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

hand. It spins very freely, and it even seems to spin on its own at the slightest air current (or whatever).

causing it to be noisier than it should be. If you stare at the lower left hedge of the fan as it spins you'll see what I mean. Let me know if you think this looks normal. You could click on the "Change Quality" button (which looks like a gear) for a better quality video.

Hi, If it is not noisy like bearing is going. No worry that plastic blades is cooler. If really inducer motor is running wrong, you'll get an error code.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks for the replies. =20

Ok, so, if I'm understanding correctly, that plastic fan wheel isn't what a= ctually induces the draft...it is only a cooling fan that happens to be att= ached to the inducer motor to help keep it cool...and some other heavier du= ty metal fan blade, further in, is what actually induces the draft...right?= =20

From 2 floors up, directly above where the furnace is, I can actually hear = a humming noise (akin to an air conditioner compressor running somewhere in= the house, or maybe akin to a clothing dryer running somewhere in the hous= e) during the start-up phase, and I'm told it is the inducer motor. I was = just wondering if the plastic fan wheel being less that perfect would be ca= using that hum, but from what you're telling me, then perhaps the hum is no= rmal for an inducer...is that correct? My furnace is a Carrier Infinity, = and for a furnace that is billed as quiet, it is strange to hear a noise d= uring start-up that never happened on my old pilot-based furnace from the g= ood old days, before they came up with the idea of inducer motors. I gues= s I'll just have to get used to the hum during start-up of my 2-stage furna= ce, right?=20

=20

Reply to
jyankauer

actually induces the draft...it is only a cooling fan that happens to be attached to the inducer motor to help keep it cool...and some other heavier duty metal fan blade, further in, is what actually induces the draft...right?

humming noise (akin to an air conditioner compressor running somewhere in the house, or maybe akin to a clothing dryer running somewhere in the house) during the start-up phase, and I'm told it is the inducer motor. I was just wondering if the plastic fan wheel being less that perfect would be causing that hum, but from what you're telling me, then perhaps the hum is normal for an inducer...is that correct? My furnace is a Carrier Infinity, and for a furnace that is billed as quiet, it is strange to hear a noise during start-up that never happened on my old pilot-based furnace from the good old days, before they came up with the idea of inducer motors. I guess I'll just have to get used to the hum during start-up of my 2-stage furnace, right?

You might check with Carrier to see if you can get a replacement plastic blade or if it's under warranty the company may repair it at no cost to you. Like I wrote, draft inducers do tend to make some noise. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hey J, Since that plastic fan blade is so easy to remove, remove it and do a very short test for the noise problem. Remember this, someone said this is a cooling fan for the motor, so don't let it run long enough to over heat the motor. That means you need to know how to remove power from the unit before you start the experiment. Do this at your own risk. It is worth testing because it is bothersome to you, but, I think you will find, the draft inducer is still noisy. :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx