Does my brother-in-law have a clue?

My brother-in-law has convinced my wife and son to turn off the air conditioner in the car before shutting down the engine. He says it will make the air conditioning compressor last longer. Any truth to this? If yes, why? Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I've never heard that, until now.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe you should ask him where he heard that and what facts he has to back it up. If it *was* an issue, then why is it not addressed in vehicles manufacturers instruction books??

Reply to
Steve

Hmmm, To me it is plain BS!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If you don't start it in the first place it certainly will last longer.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

I once took a weekend vacation in Canada with my wife's uncle, in order to save fuel he didn't want the air conditioner on. $%^&*# never again!

Mike

Reply to
amdx

If you turn off the cold air but leave the fan on for 5 min before you shut off the engine will help keep moisture from fermenting that horrible smell that can build up in the evaporator. Won't make anything last longer, just eliminate the moose fart smell when restarting the air later.

Reply to
George Jetson

save fuel he didn't want the air

off the engine will help keep moisture

Won't make anything last longer, just

Dear friend on contrary if unit works as it should as soon as you shut off motor any condense water will drain, if you leave fan on the air humidity goes back in to your cab and other places, however you should start the car and idle for short time before you put the air on and if is really hot put the fan on, open windows before engaging air/compressor, let air circulate for little while before you engage compressor. the most people specially females want instant cooling or heat they don't give poor motor not even start running.

Reply to
Grumpy

Has anyone figured out how to wring out those R22 Cans to get the last precious drop of that expensive Al Gore endangered substance?

Reply to
PaxPerPoten