Convert Carrier AC Package Unit to HeatPump

Hi;

I recently bought a house in SE Virginia to use as a rental. It has a one year old carrier AC. It is a package unit so there is no indoor airhandler or lineset. The ducting runs from the unit through the crawl space. Everything is self contained outside. The Carrier number is 50SD024301. The house has Electric BaseBoard Heat. I am worried that people might not want to rent the house because of the baseboard heat. I am thinking about having the AC unit replaced with a heatpump. Before I call folks out and get a quote for a new heatpump, is it possible to convert the ac unit I have to a heatpump for less than 3k? I hate to discard a system that is less than a year old, but if I have to I guess I will have to. Thanks for any advice.

Pat

Reply to
komobu

Nope, cant convert it but depending on the ductwork, you may or maynot be able to add a duct heater. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

If you replace it with anything, replace it with a gas/propane "space-pak". All-in-one heat and AC just like the unit you have - outside package.

BTW...these days electric heat is often as economical at fuel-based heat. What you have may be the most economical for renters.

Reply to
curmudgeon

can you get "OFF PEAK" electrical metering service in your area?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the advice...I am considering offering to pay their electrical bills above a certain thresh hold. That way I can see how high it really is and way the costs of replacement vs any savings.

Reply to
komobu

be able to add a duct heater.

Thanks Bubba...I may want to put some 1500 watt hair dryers in the ducts for winter time use...I think those work the same as duct heaters but far cheaper. 100 hair dryers should give me 150kws of heat;-)

Reply to
komobu

can you get "OFF PEAK" electrical metering service in your area?

Thanks for the reply...I am not sure, but I will check into it.

Reply to
komobu

Unless you want to take it on as a personal project, I don't think costs or results would be a very positive outcome.

If this is the unit you should be able to add electric heat right to the unit. Only concern would be electrical breakers, wiring and panel space availability.

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

Sorry, just reread this line... Crips, English is my first language :(

Reply to
Joseph

In that case, they will be sure to be cozy in the Winter, and nice and chilly in the summer. "We, don't care... we don't pay for the heat". Just wait til they set up those grow lights.......

Reply to
Mo Hoaner