Central A/C Not Cooling - Condenser Unit Pauses

When I came home today the blower was on in the house, but the air wasn't cool. I turned off the unit on the thermostat and waited an hour or more (ate dinner, actually). I flipped the thermostat back to call for cooling, then I walked outside to check the "load control" indicator, which said the appliance was enabled (ok). While I was standing there (the fan had been "on" the whole time), the fan stopped for about one second, then it started again. The blades never spun down to a stop, but the hum quit, and it was obvious it was "off" momentarily. The load control indicator remained unchanged, so I don't think it has anything to do with that. It seemed to me like some kind of internal reset. But it was ineffective: no cool air in the house, and no warm air expelled from the condenser unit. I tried powering the condenser unit off for 5 minutes and then on, but it didn't help, same symptoms (no heat expelled, pauses every minutes or so).

This is a 14 year old unit, by the way, and as far as I know the only repair or maintenance was that a capacitor was replaced. That was a couple of years ago, or could have been last summer, I guess.

What does this sound like? A bad compressor?

--Dale--

Reply to
DRS.Usenet

No, your compressor is fine. The operator is just a dumbass.

Reply to
ambers place

Im sure its your thermostat. Change it out with a new digital programmable model. Make sure and change the low voltage wiring with it to make sure it matches up correctly. After that, pay attention to everything Stormy says. He is one "smart sunz-a-biatch" Bubba

Reply to
Bubba