Carrier AC/Heatpump shorting out

We have a Carrier AC/Heat pump. We have been having a problem with the 5amp fuse that is located on the inside unit. When the heat or ac tries to engage it blows the fuse. We have checked the board and found a spot where two thermostat wires were touching and shorting out on the outside case cover. Thought we had it resolved and even cleaned the board on the outside unit. When we turned the heat back on it turned on great and then when it got to the correct temp inside it turned off. When it came back on it again blew the fuse. We had run out of solutions. Anyone have any ideas? The fan runs fine and the emergency heat also works properly. Help!

Reply to
adriannefails

Best bet is to call your local, *competent*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician to come and diagnose, then repair the problem.

Reply to
Steve

Check the outdoor heat pump unit. In particular.....look at the wires to the low pressure switch, hight pressure switch and reversing valve. You owe me now. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Don't forget the contactor... a shorted coil will blow the fuse too

Reply to
Steve

True but what I was getting at is I have seen a bunch of Carrier heat pumps that short the wire from the pres sw to the copper. The wire covering is real cute looking yellow or pink or blue. Its rather stiff and thin. It doesnt burn through the covering........rather it just vibrates through. It leaves a whitish mark on the copper where it shorts. Had one of them do it twice till I finally disconnected the wires and slid some covering over them (black vinyl humidifier drain tubing.) Worked like a champ ever since. Just some more Carrier cost cutting moves. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Pinched wires at the condenser is nice to locate... I wonder why the cover isn't installed correctly??? Hummmmm, lets leave this screw out as the cover isn't fitting right... Yep, pull the cover and the wiring isn't located within the wiring box. Repair the wiring, tuck it in and the cover fits. Now the missing screw will reach the cabinet.

The last company just replaced the fuse and left. I guess it must have been a lot easier to replace a fuse and tell the customer it's ok... yep, till the next time the wiring hits the improperly installed cover!

Reply to
KJPRO

Do you ever wonder whether its laziness, not knowing, not caring or a combination of all three as to why these clowns wont do the job right?

Reply to
The King

Chalk it up to their "give a shit" tank being empty.

Reply to
Steve

There's awful lot of empty give a shit tanks out there...

Reply to
The King

All of the above along with not having the time to do it right. Mostly, I would say lack of knowledge.

Reply to
KJPRO

It also might be a 90 hour week catching up with the Tech. Field techs, unlike Union suckoffs, really work hard enough to get tired.

Reply to
Alexander

So if you're tired, shit work is acceptable... ?

Reply to
KJPRO

Makes me glad Imf union and never get tired.

Reply to
The King

The point is to stop and let others do it when you hit the point where effective work has declined. There are many studies on this both in the mili8tary and in the industrial complex. But of course if your daily effective work is shitty, then what is there to say? It just isn't gonna get any better.

Reply to
Alexander

Hire 'em young! They can MULTITASK and are efficient at it too. They can drive the car, watch tv, send and receive text messages as well as have a conversation with someone in the passenger seat next to them. But when it comes to work, they're really really slow... just watch 'em walk.... baggie pants and all.

Reply to
Zyp

Don't worry about the young and dumb. Our Government will uniform them and send them off to get killed in some moronic war looking for WMD.

Reply to
Alexander

Wow - your good. You realy can spin that out these comments within an HVAC newsgroup.....

Reply to
Zyp

d. You realy can spin that out these comments within an HVAC

What is your point?

Reply to
Alexander

those with points need to wear a hat to cover them

Reply to
Fartikus

It is good that you share your experience with us. Is that a size 2 hat size you use?

Reply to
Alexander