Any Rheem guys out there?

And you're still an idiot.

Reply to
KJPRO

Better clean it and check the "amp draw" so Stormy can drop it...

Reply to
KJPRO

You're talking about the old Lennox that used its liquid lineset as a cap tube. That was for straight air only. Its not got that.

CY: yes, thanks for the reminder. Couldn't remember wh ich brand did that.

Maybe I'm lazy but I don't routinely clean the condenser unless I suspect it as a possible problem. There's nothing in my readings that suggest a dirty condenser as the problem.

CY: I like to use my IR thermometer, and check the temp of the liquid line coming from the bottom of the condensor. If it's more than a couple degrees over ambient, I know the condensor isn't releasing the BTU properly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gary how about check if unit works better when is little wamer outside I beleive with out checking that all you need little more refrigerant at 86 outside temp. your head is low and suction, the instructions are not always corect, at 86 deg. you head should be around 280 with R-22 perhaps even higher. Tony

Reply to
new jersey

WTF???? 280 head @ 86F?? with a scroll compressor??....care to take another guess Stormin??

Reply to
Noon-Air

I think you're confusing this with an old 6 SEER unit. There's no HP's I know of made in the last ten years that would run head pressures that high. Remember my subcooling is high, not low. If the unusual TXV/SH specs are correct on the unit plate then its more likely to be overcharged than undercharged.

Reply to
Gary

I don't have any sock puppets in use, at the moment. That would be Tony, not Stormin.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did you not see where he post the amb at 85 and the LL was 87??????????

Reply to
KJPRO

No it is undercharge however you let me know when and if you find the problem Tony

Reply to
new jersey

You really are a clueless twit.

Reply to
KJPRO

When I got home my neighbor called & told me he forgot to turn his thermostat back up when I left yesterday. He left & when he came home it was 64 degrees in his house. He said it was like an icebox in his house so whatever I did must have fixed his unit. Like I said the unit was running almost exactly like the specs on the chart showed it should & hasn't had a problem cooling since I left. My job is get the system to cool & try & get it working as close to manufacture specs as I can. I think what really fixed the system (which has nothing to do with the charge which is why I never mentioned it) is replacing the contactor. It was extremely noisy though still working & if I pushed it in with a screw driver it quieted down so I thought it might be intermittently not bringing on the compressor. It looked like ants had gotten in the contacts & they were burnt pretty bad. The owner was happy just to have the unit quiet down.

Reply to
Gary

And what do you set your emissivity to for old copper vs. new copper?

You CAN'T tell a couple of critical degrees one way or another with an Infrared Thermometer with fixed emissivity!

Why are you using the wrong tools?

We all know...You believe you're smarter then anybody here, and you'll bullshit your transparent, condescending self here, under the veil of "politeness", which makes you the most dangerous con-man of all.

In retrospect, text books will just make you more dangerous to all.

I now vote for the aforementioned rock/head/smash solution.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

Stormy, I do believe we have found an apprentice for you. ;-p

Reply to
Don Ocean

KJPRO posted for all of us...

What the condenser or the amp draw?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Or, I could work for Tony. Either way sounds like a match.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So you are saying you have no idea what you did or how you did it but now his unit "seems" to be working better? Not exactly the type of "tech" Id want working on my A/C, car, teeth or heart. I didnt know that guessing was part of good service. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Clean condenser coil and check the compressor amp draw... this is Stormy's new list of items he may do to a unit on a PM.

Reply to
KJPRO

Blind leading the stupid.

Reply to
KJPRO

That's exactly what I'm saying. If you've never been to a unit that was cooling fine when you got there & the owner said it went out the day before then you're a lucky guy. Sometimes with an intermittent problem you have make an educated & practical guess unless the cause is apparent. If you've ever been to a unit freezing up with an intermittent problem with a blower relay you'll understand about guessing. When I got to the unit it had been off all night. The owner told me he came home & water was dripping out of his eave(secondary) & his house was extremely hot so he turned the system off. The system turned right on when I got there so I vacuumed out the drain line assuming it might be a float switch that tripped or maybe a frozen coil. If you read my first post you'll understand I was just doing something quick & easy to try to get him running til Monday. When I checked the pressures & the unit specs that was what really threw me. He asked me about the noise which I thought was the compressor but when I checked it without the high voltage on it was obviously the contactor. When I went back up in the attic Monday to check the AH I foundthat there wasn't any float switch installed so my first assumption was obviously wrong which is what leads me to believe the contactor was intermittently not closing all the time. With the humidity out of the house the TD has gotten better though not what I like but it's cooling fine. End of story.

Reply to
Gary

If you have no idea and it is your own unit, then thats fine. When it is someone's unit and you are charging them for your professional services and expertese and your only answer is, "Uh, I dunno, Im not sure, Im just guessing" then that runs into a little problem in my book. Now, Thats the end of the story. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba