Latest threads in General Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

in cook county, il., will building a shed increase my taxes?
In Cook County, il., will my taxes be increased if a shed is built on the property? I've been told that building a shed on concrete will make the structure permanent. Whereas having a gravel type of...

6 ft 2x6 beam - how much downward pull can it take?
I am wanting to hang 2 gym rings from a ceiling joist. This is the only place high enough on my property to hang the rings from. The joist is a 2x6, 6' long under a porch roof. It's well secured on...
3
3

How can we repair wrought iron rails where the top of the rails which are rounded have pulled away from the main frame?
I'm not even sure what the name is of the part of the railing that needs repair. These railings are very rusty, though are salvageable. The top ..where your hand would glide across, has come away from...
2
2

what is frost line in juno alaska?
No further details provided
2
2

Existing slab and new sunroom slab don't align. The new slab is about 1 to 1 1/4 higher. What can I do about this?
I had a bad experience with a contractor and ended up firing him. The concrete man that he subbed out to did a pretty good job with everything except a biggie of having new concrete the same level as...
2
2

Has any used the Z Post for wood fences, they look like a great new product?
No further details provided
2
2

I want to design my foyer with an arched ceiling.
I am building a passive solar designed home (HDM). I plan on having 10ft. ceilings and in the main living space progressing (past the foyer) to 12ft. ceiling (possibly cathedral in family room). I...
2
2

how much does it cost to jack up a house and level it
have some rotton piers that need to be replaced from water damage and 3 bedroom house need to also be leveled. One story house, around 1500 sq feet Location in south texas
2
2