Latest threads in General Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

weight limit on a 2 x 10 joyce, by 21' x 12'
No further details provided I understand that you may mean a 21 foot by 12 foot room. Is this correct? If you are using 2" x 10" joists on the 21 foot length on 16" centres that is not sufficient. If...
6 years ago 4

lay out for a 6/12 rafter, with a 16feet, 1inch span. 2x6 rafter? 2x4 wall.
No further details provided
7 years ago

why are galvanized nails use outdoors
Hi I need help with this question: Why are galvanized nails use outdoors? Galvanized nails are treated to be rust resistant. They are not rust-proof. Incidentally galvanized nails can be used indoors...
7 years ago 2

I want to start a construction company and I need a good name for it. Please advice.
No further details provided From the Forest. From the Ground Up. Re-Arranged Trees. Home and Castle. To name a few. What is wrong with your own name "name"Construction . "name" Builders.
7 years ago 2

What about contractor rates in Colorado?
everyone bidding jobs in this area seems to rely on ZIP codes; why is this?
7 years ago

How come my roof leaks? This stuff sucks
I spent 100,000 on a pole shop with living quarters & the builder used tri ply for the vapor barrier & it rains inside when it starts getting cold outside. And I know it's because of the heated space...
7 years ago 2

WHY ARE THEY CALLED TECO NAILS?
No further details provided
7 years ago

We consider to buy old house(1950). Would it require a lot of maintanence?
Does things break a lot in house constructed in 1950. It's a brick house. ALso it has small windows, some in s brick wall, some in the roof? How difficult is to make them bigger? How much could it...
7 years ago 1

what should stair rail bracket spacing be?
No further details provided If you mean the pickets or spindles then the spacing should be 4 inches on centre to be safe. This is also a building code regulation where we live in Canada.
7 years ago 2

how much can a number 6 ring shank nail in half inch osb hold?
how much can a number 6 ring shank nail in half inch osb hold?
7 years ago

I am trying to purchase Tripolymer Sealant to repair a plaster wall. Can you tell me where I can find it?
No further details provided
7 years ago

What is the canadian term for acro props? Where can I buy some? Thank you
Acro props are metal poles with a thread that has a plate on enabling you to jack it up to take the weight of a structure, if you we're replacing a damaged support post for example. When I do search I...
7 years ago 2

3.5 degrees in 24 feet is how many inches of slope
Trigonometry. a = tan(A) * b (see picture below) a = slope you are looking for b = 24' = 288" so, a = tan(3.5°)*288 = 0.06116262 * 288 = 17.614834603 inch or approx 17-39/64" I am trying to...
7 years ago 4

I just bought an elliptical which weighs 235lbs, would it be safe to put upstairs?
No further details provided Can you safely have three 100 pound people stand where you want this device and slowly bounce on the floor to see if the floor gives way too much bounce-back. If the floor...
7 years ago 2

I have a shelf built from 2" X 4" lumber with a 5/8" particle board top.
It is screwed to stud walls on the back and sides and has (3) 3/8" all thread from the ceiling structure through the plywood top and bolted to a piece of slotted strut under the front edge of the...
7 years ago 1