Subject Author Posted Replies

absorbing pellets
I saw a commercial for or something like that where you get a kit with absorbing little balls and you only have to water it every six weeks, you put it in a bag and hang the tomato plant up, I would...
3
3

WATER RESTRICTIONS IN DROUGHT AREAS
Georgia is in the forth year of a severe drought and as a result watering restrictions have been put into place. There is one aspect of the rules that few people are aware of. According to the Atlanta...
2
2

Danger Lurking in Local Garden Centers
I just "had" to go to the local Ace to pick up another jug of fish sauce for the tomatoes. When I came out I saw the first warning sign: SALE! Crap, it happens every friggin' year. I cannot resist. I...
59
59

plantings?
i would like to plant small bushes and perennials on both sides of my front porch. there are no rain gutters on the overhang, and these would have to "stand up" to occasional downpour. any...
5
5

If you deadhead poppies will they bloom longer?
Will deadheading poppies help them bloom longer. We are growing a bunch for the first time this year and seed heads are starting to form. Just wondering if we can stretch the blooming season out a...
4
4

cauliflower rebirth??
After I cut off the cauliflower "fruit", is there any reason to keep the plant and wait for more cauliflower babies to grow...will this plant send up new shoots/branches that will eventually produce...
1
1

Red spider mites on minature roses
I have a rather extensive collection of old bottles of pesticides, but I'm out of Kelthane. :-( Also, I think "Black Leaf 40" (nicotine sulfate) is not approved for roses. What other insecticides are...
9
9

Need help identifying shrubs
From northeastern Texas.... Once upon a time they were carefully trimmed shrubs or hedges around this house before I bought it. But the house sat empty with little attention for a couple of years. Now...
3
3

For Bill.........Waaay Over The Garden Fence
You ever read Joe Bageant? You might enjoy. Another oldfart like us who is on the right, errr left, side of the Garden Fence. http://www.joebageant.com/
4
4

roses
I recently had to dig up and move my flower bed. I know this isn't the time of year to be transplanting roses, but I had no choice, as my husband wanted them moved to a different area. I made sure to...
2
2

GW forums? server down maybe?
g'day friends, having trouble logging into GW forums today, usually never ever had a problem. does anyone have any history of this problems? tia With peace and brightest of blessings, len & bev -- "Be...
2
2

Cypress tree question
I just had some cypress trees dry out and die on my property. I was told it was a root fungus, but who knows, because two other arborists told me something completely different. But I got to thinking,...
9
9

Fear of Eating by Paul Krugman
21, 2007 Fear of Eating, by Paul Krugman, Commentary, NY Times Yesterday I did something risky: I ate a salad. These are anxious days at the lunch table. For all you know, there may be E. coli on your...
7
7

Forsythia: Specimen recommendation, Gamma rays
Good morning. I am new to gardening and have two forsythia-related questions I'd appreciate input on: 1. I want to place a 3-plant specimen grouping of forsythia in my backyard, in the 4 to 6 foot...
2
2

Saving corn seeds
Being a student always leaves you feeling stupid and, here I am again. I'm getting too old for this, maybe. For other newbies out there let me just say that if you are planning on saving corn to plant...
35
35