Subject Author Posted Replies

Red Maple
My city prohibits planting red maple and Formosa trees. Why? I'm in east TN.
2
2

Cut-Flower Care-How to Make Your Fresh-Cut Flowers Last
After taking time and energy to take care of plants for a while, your garden is in peak bloom, filled with vibrantly colored flowers. And now it's time to pick up an article urging you to cut those...

Grow computer
Hi All. I'm designing a computer to automate my garden. I'm looking for input as to what it should do. At present, the design includes for each plant: a timer to start/stop watering a soil moisture...
5
5

time to take down feeder
I'm in the Baltimore area. Is it time to take down the hummingbird feeder, or will they know when to head south even if that food is available? Alan
2
2

Grass.....the legal kind
I live in the boonies and have never had a "lawn". Some green stuff covers the areas around the house, barn, and garden area and I keep the two to three acres generally mowed back. The rest of the...
3
3

Positive Solutions to Yesterday's "Doom & Gloom"
Alternatives to deal with yesterday's post about the end of the world....same author and some fine links/references. Things will change and here are ways to cope with change Charlie, risen above the...

Lawn Pest Problem
I think when I purchased my home over two decades ago, I made a large mistake. I had decided to condition the soil by adding worms. But, the kind of worms I purchased, were very large Earth Worms. As...
27
27

Norway Maple - Northern California
I recall a few months back that I was involved in a discussion about replacing a tree in my front yard. During the discussion, I pretty much decided to select a Norway Maple. I'm nearly ready to...
42
42

A hint to those posting here for the first time
I have noticed this is happening a lot as people are wanting to plant for Fall: no hint of poster's location in the world or in the US is being given. For some topics, such as fertilizers or starting...
8
8

Lettuce or Crop to Grow in Raleigh ALL YEAR ROUND
Hello, I'm interested in learning if there is a version of lettuce or "similar" vegetable that I can grow on my patio garden all year round and not have to worry about the cold. I live in the Raleigh,...
10
10

Cheery Article
Quite the clever lot aren't we.....always have been, it would appear. Care Charlie _____________ Excerpt: Full article (long) at: William M. H. Kötke 12 September, 2007 We are all looking at the end...
12
12

Evergreen (or like) Vines, Zone 6, Suggestions?
I'm looking for suggestions on vines to use to cover a chain link fence section that is attached to a house. I'd like the vine to be evergreen, or at least evergreen like staying green or keeping its...
3
3

Groundcovers provide solutions for many landscape problems
A good groundcover can be a landscaper's best friend, but despite being a relatively simple family of plants, there can still be some confusion and misunderstanding. This seems like a good time to...

What's turning the grass black
Both my neighbor and I have spots where the grasses turning black, almost moldy looking. The areas are irregular. I can't see anything like a fruiting structure, but it is black, not brown. No frost...
16
16

Help on this trouble grass
I am really struggle how to "permanently" eliminate this type of weed on my brick patio. Using the weed killer called ROUNDUP does not really work
7
7