Winter dreaming - small tree

OK - I'm southern NH, but have to treat this area of the yard as warmish Zone 4 - the wind really creates a very cold microclimate on that side of the yard, especially around the proposed site - aka the top of the hill.

Needs to be drought tolerant once established, able to take wind and lots sun. And give me some winter interest and some shade for the bench. Spread - about 8-10 feet, height maxing at 20 foot. Don't mind pruning but would object to anything that suckers.

I don¹t want an evergreen - in the long view (up the hill) it is backed by pines, oaks and maples and I think would get lost. Great bark or fruit that would attract birds....

Go to town folks... I want to make this happen next spring and will be putting my pennies aside to save for it.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Two of my favorites are Franklinia and Stewartia both however don't like drought. Do OK here in zone 5 . I have them in shade too another issue. Took 4 attempts to get the Stewartia take but persistence paid off. Lovely trees.

Bill who putters

Your ground is not frozen, you can plant now... now is a good time to check local nurseries for bargains.

Hawthorn is a tree for all seasons, beautiful aromatic flowers in spring/summer, dense green summer foliage, a prolific producer of edible bright red fruits, gorgeous long lasting deep crimson fall foliage, and interesting winter form/bark. Hawthorn is a tough tree, touts many medicinal uses, and a favorite of song birds. There are hundreds of varieties of Hawthorn, they make lovely specimen trees, singularly and in groups. I have a Washington Hawthorn:

with fruit... taken through my window a few minutes ago:

Brooklyn1

I would have recommended a serviceberry, but you might need to clip some suckers down near the roots once a year. Otherwise, very little pruning needed.

A cloud of white in the spring, berries to attract a fairly high class assortment of birds in June, good autmn color. Some winter interest, especially if, like my specimen, you get a nice mottling of lichens on the bark.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Thank you! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

And there are some extra hardy ones I see as I wander through the Forest Farm site - on the short list; thank you Pat

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Truly drool worthy and also on my short list. Thanks Sheldon

All other thing being equal, I'd have planted a tree this fall. Just couldn't make it work for many (personal ) reasons.

But, I have filled the hole where the old pine was with leaves and manure and shredded paper and will top it up when I can over the winter with more. So I have a good spot in the spring.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak