No fig tree for me

After several mild winters in a row (Southern NH, zone 5) and the prospect of global warming modifying my microclimate which is well protected from the cold north winds I had thoughts of planting a fig tree in my orchard.

It is now 2 F with prospects of negative numbers tomorrow night. If I had one it would be croaked.

Sigh.

Reply to
John Bachman

Hey John,

Sure is cold out here isn't it. Haven't you ever heard the saying about NH weather - wait a minute and it will change?

Seriously, one nursery used to keep a cold room (about 45F) for large items that needed a rest but couldn't take the cold of NH. Or you could opt for cellar storage... You just need a huge pot and some wheels.

Cheryl Isaak

I actually had a volunteer fig come up in my backyard. After caring for it, pruning it, feeding it, etc, it never bore fruit. I had it removed and then fought root suckers for about two years.

My neighbor across the street planted a fig. He invited me to enter his yard and pick the ripe fruit whenever I want, without even ringing his doorbell. There is nothing like a fresh fig.

Why don't you plant something that I can't grow, something totally unsuited to my climate: lilacs, most tulips, pears, maples, peonies?

Reply to
David E. Ross

'cause some folks like a challenge. Mind you, the last thing I want in the garden is a challenge, a tender or a not quite hardy enough!

Cheryl Isaak

I got 9 fig trees in 24 or 26 inch plastic buckets found in hardware stores. they produce fine. they need to be topped up with fert in spring and watered every day.

Thu, 03 Jan 2008 07:22:51 -0500, Cheryl Isaak wrote: Or you could opt for>cellar storage... You just need a huge pot and some wheels.

Reply to
dr-solo

forgot to say, we move them into a heated garage. not very heated cause if the temp gets up over 55oF or so they leaf out. they need cold for dormancy. INgrid

Reply to
dr-solo

exactly... unless 20 fresh figs!!!

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 08:44:00 -0800, "David E. Ross" wrote: There is nothing like a fresh fig.

Reply to
dr-solo

The message from snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com contains these words:

You must be a fast runner, Ingrid :-)