Artichokes in zone 5

I started a few artichokes this spring. Now I need to mulch them for the winter. Are the leaves going to die back or do they stay green? I'd like to just pile leaves over them and pull them off in the spring. If the leaves stay green I suppose I should just pile the leaves around the plants. Anyone familiar with this?

Reply to
Butzmark

Artichokes aren't hardy in Zone 5. The leaves don't die back, or at least, they didn't in my garden in Zone 3/4 this year, then we got 18" of snow in one night, so the plants got covered with snow before the ground froze. (The plants survived many hard killing frosts before we got snow.)

If you want to experiment, try mulching the plants with *lots* of leaves, straw or whatever you have. Make it good and deep to protect the roots. Then pray for deep snow that lasts all winter.

Let us know how you do. I was going to dig up my artichoke roots before the ground froze, but we got that unexpected deep snow before I finished cleaning the garden out. I'm *really* hoping that the 'choke roots will survive winter and grow again next year. (Artichokes are one of my "food groups." Garlic is another one.)

If you have to start over again, get some seeds and start them in January. 'Choke plants take a long time to grow, so give them a huge head-start on the season, if you can. Artichokes and tomatoes are the two veggies that are worth all of the bother of setting up grow lights in the middle of the winter.

Check the Pinetree Seeds catalog -- I think they sell the 'choke seeds that do good in our shorter growing seasons. (They're online.)

Jan, in Alaska USDA Zone 3 or 4, depending on who you ask

Reply to
Jan Flora