Tree advice - Z4, clay soil

I'm in zone 4 (se minnesota) and want to plant a couple new trees out front. We just removed a pin oak that has been strugling with the very non-acidic clay soil for several years and I'd like something that will tolerate the soil.

Lindens are growing along the street succesfully. In the back I have an ash and a maple and two black pines (the soil out back seems to be a little better than the front).

In addition to the lindens along the street, the neighbors have birches, ashes and a sickly maple.

I was hoping to get something that would grow tall enough to shade the front of the house (2 story). Something different from the neighbors would also be nice.

Any suggestions? Larry

Reply to
ldwhitley at charter dot net

I'm quite a bit south of you, but face the same pH issues. Maples and pines are pretty much out (here we can grow bigtooth maple, but it's a native and I doubt it is hardy in z4).

Ash tend to grow fast, die young. I would avoid them.

Most oaks can take the high pH, though you've obviously noted an exception. We like live oaks, shumards, bur oak, and chinquapin, but I don't know which are most suited to your climate (maybe none).

Elms also can make it in alkaline soil. American elms are available now that are resistant to Dutch Elm Disease. Other elms also might do well up there.

For smaller trees, Chinese pistache is recommended locally. Again, check for hardiness.

Sorry not to be more helpful. You might do best to contact your local county agricultural extension office.

Keith For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit

consumer info about tree care, visit

Babberney