Which fertilizer for Fall lawn care???

Yes, I've known this for many years. The feed store I buy it at makes their own alfalfa hay and products. Alfalfa is so rich, it can mess up hoofs of horses, giraffes, and animal which eats too much of it.

If I buy pellets, I just throw the on the lawn after they come core aerate. I put it in the compost pile, throw it out on the beds, it's just great stuff which is a great mulch as hay. Especially in vegetable beds.

So, now you're on to it. I buy 50 pound bags for about 16 dollars in Georgetown.

animaux

Liebig, who is the father of synthetic fertilizer, and who insisted for many years that it was all plants need, that plants do not need humates. At the end of his life he realized he was wrong, but it was too late and the money machine which sold plenty of synthetic fertilizer was already in full motion. To this day, the manufacturers will insist all you need are N-P-K. WRONG.

The rest of this post is excellent. I am going to save it to repost every now and then.

animaux

it's not unique to this site.

Thanks anyway.

vince norris

Reply to
vincent p. norris

We have been using ACT and additonal fungi with incredible results. You might find this link interesting.....

"Fertilization can produce large plants, but it often suppresses mycorrhiza formation. Fertilization lacks or even suppresses the other important benefits of mycorrhiza. Fertilization cannot increase plant species diversity; it tends to favor large individuals of the few most vigorous species. Fertilization cannot improve plant survival, but rather tends to favor a few large plants rather than many smaller ones. Fertilization does not make the site unfit for weeds, but instead gives them a nearly insurmountable competitive edge against native plants. Fertilization does nothing to decrease root disease, favor beneficial bacteria, or improve soil structure, perhaps the most important effects of mycorrhiza in natural systems. In a revegetation project, fertilization is often a serious mistake."

lvhippy

While a lot of this post is accurate, there are many non-successional plants which are indicator plants for poor soil structure. The addition of some slow release, naturally derived nitrogen, and other trace elements (key words "trace elements") are a great way to put some balance into the soil and alleviate some of the indicator weeds.

Victoria

Reply to
animaux

Less turf, more diversity. Yes!