What to put on tree with stripped bark

Something got into a dwarf plum tree and stripped bark from most of one side. It even got into the tree a few feet above the ground. There are teeth marks everywhere. The tree is about four feet tall and we don't have many deer around here. I'm guessing a rabbit. There was one that was near the tree when I was out there.

What would be good to put on the stripped areas to keep the branches from dieing? Somewhere I heard that when pruning a tree it isn't necessary to put pruning paint on but with this much damage I think something needs to be applied.

I'm hunting Wabbit... Mysterious Traveler

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

Paint the wound with white glue to seal it. Use any general purpose white glue: Willhold, Elmer's, Glue Bird, or a "house" brand.

Then buy 1/4-inch wire mesh, about 3 feet wide and long enough to wrap loosely around the trunk more than twice. Wrap the mesh around the trunk, not real tight but not real loose. Fasten the free end to the rest of the mesh with bent paperclips. If you detect that some animal has lifted the mesh, unwrap, staple the inner end to the trunk, and then rewrap. Check the mesh 3-4 times during the growing season to make sure that the trunk has not grown to make the mesh too tight.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Thanks, David, for the above info. Very informitive and I'll keep it for future reference.

Reply to
dodge 57

I was wondering what this group is all about?

Thanks!

Reply to
joannemahoney
4 feet tall? Is it a new tree? I would just dig it up and start over.

Una

Reply to
Una

That sounds like a good plan. I'll try that.

Thanks Mysterious Traveler

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

It's about twenty years old, it's wide but not very tall.

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

are teeth marks everywhere. The tree is

It only takes one deer... unless your rabbit has Dumbo ears I seriously doubt it could reach a few feet above the ground. However deer don't leave teeth marks, neither rabbits... could be some other critter.

Nowadays most arborists suggest placing nothing on tree bark wounds, they'll heal more quickly and cleanly. Deer love stonefruit tree bark, you'd best fence your trees.

Reply to
brooklyn1