What Can I Do To Help My Conifer? (Pic attached)

Hi,

As you can see in my photo below, my Conifer is looking a little sorry for itself.

The top half is fine, but the bottom half on the front is dead. The back is fine.

What would you guys recommend i do with it?

Will it grow back and look green all over ever again?

Thanks in advance for any help.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: connifer.jpg | |Download:
tyzer

they've died. I'm always wary about plants growing up against a shared fence, especially those growing above fence height... I'd bet the neighbor on the other side didn't like the view presented by that one silly conifer towering above the fence... try to imagine the view from the other side, most folks with a fence never do... must irritate the crap out of the neighbor, almost looks like you're flipping them the bird. Perhaps that conifer just happens to fall in line with their view of your bedroom window and now that plant finally became tall enough to prevent your neighbor from peering in with his telescope to watch your wife undress. But whatever, that conifer certainly looks like it's been poisoned... a little defoliant on the ground at the base would do exactly that.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Endure or replace.

No

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Not positive, but it looks like wind winter damage. This is a problem with conifers with cold winter winds that typically affects just one side of the tree, even if it is out in the open. One side exposed to the winter wind and the other protected by the building. Top part brick may have prevented wind cold damage. My guess the dark boarded up part is what, a crawl space behind it? It may or not recover but will take time if this is the case. Next winter, wrap the conifer with a burlap or something better and see.

Another guess is salt damage if tree is next to a side walk.

If you live in warm climate then completely ignore what I just wrote :)

Reply to
Nad R

It's in the UK, for the most part not very cold, not much snow, probably no salt whatsoever. The plant is protected from wind by a solid privacy fence. It sure looks like spiteful malicious mischief to me.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

The wind can do more damage than just the cold. A mild winter with strong winds can dry out one side of the plant. I have a conifer also next my house and it also gets "Winter Wind Burn". It is cold enough even in England to have Winter Wind Burn.

Reply to
Nad R