Weeping Birch not coming back?

There is a Weeping Birch in front that has been in ground for 6 years now. This year, although the tree does not seem dead, the leaf buds have yet to open.

Spring here has sucked...zone 5a, near Ottawa, Ontario. Unfortunately, there isn't another tree like it in the neighbourhood to compare with. Scratching a layer of bark reveals green beneath. When I pinch a leaf bud in half, it's green.

Another thing,,,,,the tree suffered great stress when the flower bed beneath was hacked with a shovel by a newbie black thumb.

Any suggestions, experiences with this kind of (lack of) progress?

TIA

Reply to
Lisa

Weeping birch are early bud-breakers in the relative scheme of things. Does not sound good.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Rats, that's what I fear. It's such a lovely tree, or it was.........

Reply to
Lisa