Watermelon question

My watermelons are bout the size of footballs now and my question is, do i need to put anything under the melons or leave them lay on the dirt as they are growing ?

Reply to
jerry

Hi jerry, You can leave them right where they are but once in a while I would turn them a quarter turn to avoid that white underbelly thing and avoid posibility of rot.

Reply to
J. Lane

Nothing wrong with that white underbelly thing. That's a watermelon. It won't rot because it's white or always on the ground, only if something bores into it or munches on the rind. Even then, I've seen the melon dry out on the area, almost heal over, with no rot. Gary

Reply to
V_coerulea

Several ways to tell, and I still screw it up. Check the tendril closest to the melon. When it had dried completely and the adjacent leaf, that is a good sign. If you had a dry summer however, they will dry up and the melon may still not be ready to eat.

Look at the under side. If it has turned a yellow or white (depending on what color the melon is) and the color of the melon has become dull rather than shiney, that is a good sign.

You can lift the melon from the ground in one hand and slap it with the other. When you feel the vibration of the slap in the hand used to hold the melon, that is a good sign.

After all these good signs occur, I would still give it a week. The best sign is to cut it into and when the melon is red, yellow, or pink (depending on the kind of melon), and it tastes sweet and delicious, that is a really good sign. Good luck.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne