Wanted: Deadly, Thorny Shrub

I'm a hard-core film fan who hangs out with other hard-core film fans. Almost none of us have seen any Harry Potter films.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Thorny? You don't know what thorny is until you plant a S. jankalski, now that's one thorny sombitch....

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

LOL, that and .35 cents will get you......

We're getting to callused?

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

I'm sorry to have not included a description then. There's no need to sully yourself by watching an HP flick. for the purposes of this discussion it's a tree that for one reason or another is very bad tempered and if you get near it, it's likely to reach over and "whomp" you with a vengeance. It smashed up a Ford Anglia once and the latest movie it flings the people around.

I think it's make believe though so I don't think you can order them from your usual suppliers.

I resisted the Harry Potter movies for as long as I could but my 8 and 5 year old are more persistent than I am stubborn. Turns out I enjoyed them after all - who'd a thunk it?

Robert

paghat wrote:

Reply to
Robert Chambers

Robert Chambers wrote in news:HQwrd.1401 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

You can grow your own "whomping willow". All you need is Harry Potter's Chamber Pot of Secrets. The fertilizer is the key.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Maybe Doug needs to plant an "Audrey".

(that ought to confuse a few folks)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The message from "Vox Humana" contains these words:

Oh, there is. Even nastier, is a concealed plank full of long nails, carelessly left lying around by the property owner after he was using it to clear autumn leaves. Extensive tyre damage really upsets bikers and uninvited carparkers.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

They are well worth the read and/or watch. Not the best of best, but darn good!

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

No - what is so confusing? LOL

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Hey Ricky, When my husband and I bought our first house we had that problem. Everyone in the neighborhood wo was walking a dog let it stop on my front yard.

I just made a simple little sign on my computer, in nice bold lettering. It read:

We don't use your yard for a toilet. Please don't let your animals use ours for one!

It only took a week. Long enough for all the dog walkers to see it, and it stopped! It enabled us to stay friendly with the neighbors too since each of them could blame the other guy LOL

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

They DO make a motion activated sprinkler that is supposed to shoo pests away.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I suspect it only works on animals which are afraid of rain. For the rest, they'll probably get used to it pretty quickly.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's a literary reference, and that always confuses *somebody*.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Or a play or movie (and boy was it BAD) reference. That does make it a little more accessible! Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheyenne? Wyoming? Autumn? The old TV show with Clint Walker?

Perhaps you mean cayenne.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

I like the idea, but in this world of litigation, I'm sure if someone got injured on a nail encrusted board, there would be lawyers involved. Every time these issues come up there is a common theme. People are not responsible for their kids or pets. When you say something to the contrary, you are a very bad person indeed. You hate pets and eat small children for breakfast. You are anti-family and a danger to civilization. Kid will be kids and it is your responsibility to make sure that they don't drink that gasoline or motor oil while they explore your garage. When your dog nips them as they thrust their hand through the fence, then it is your fault.

Reply to
Vox Humana

message

Someone told me recently that I should be OK with dog crap on my carpet, shoes & car mats because Oxy-Clean does a fine job of cleaning it up. At times like that, I wish I had a can of spray paint to apply to the person's shirt and hair, so they can go home and see what a great job paint thinner does at removing paint.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Russian Olive. I had a hedge of those at one house, and the kid next d= oor actually warned visiting playmates not to try to go through the hedge t= o retrieve a ball or whatever. He informed them they'd better walk around :-).

But they do require pruning/trimming to keep them as a hedge. Otherwis= e they grow into a small tree.

--=20 Homo sapiens is a goal, not a description.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I have a flowering quince, but it must not be the same as yours as it doesn't have thorns (at least none that I have noticed.) It is a hideous plant most of the year, with an unruly spray of branches. If it wasn't for the couple of weeks of beautiful flowers in the early spring, I would have pitched the pants years ago. The previous owners had it in the front yard, and I promptly moved it to a less visible place in the back yard. Here is link to a picture:

Vox Humana

photo. And here's mine:
japonica cultivars are not especially thorny (on some varieties the thorns are so blunt they barely qualify as thorns, & on others the thorns are entirely missing). Chaenomeles speciosa is much thornier, though it too has some thornless cultivars. I suspect yours is a hybrid of both those species (marketed as C. superba), as the hybrids seem to be the ones with double-flowers & no thorns & stay short in stature.

I find quinces beautiful year-round, but I usually prefer a wild-woods look over something formal. I don't like them when they are often-pruned in an attempt to make them look tidy & more compact, as they become instead like tight but messy little birdnests made of stumpy twigs, but allowed to spread out into a loose tangle of thickening limbs they're lovely.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat