Need help with dogwoods and redbuds

We recently moved into the country. We have pasture and woods. There are some dogwoods and redbuds in the middle of the woods. They are pretty but can not be seen along our road or in the edge of the woods close to our house. We have discovered that there are a lot of young small(3-4' ft. tall) dogwood and redbud trees close to the large trees and we are considering transplanting some of them in the more visible areas along the edge of the woods. Is this possible? Can anyone offer me any help on how to do this? Thanks.

Reply to
jplasater

I transplanted a couple of wild dogwoods years ago but had trouble with larger ones because of long tap root and they did not survive. Small ones should be easier - dig deep. Frank.

Reply to
Frank

To add to what Frank said, keep in mind that when you see dogwoods growing beautifully, it's usually because they're in the kind of surroundings that are optimum for them. Try to find a new planting spot which at least tends toward those conditions. Here's the opposite extreme: The previous owners of my house planted a dogwood three feet from a blacktop driveway, so its roots are quite a bit warmer than they'd be if grown in the woods. And, the tree's gets full sun almost all day long. It has never looked happy in the 20+ years I've been acquainted with it. You might want to hit the library and see what several sources say about giving the dogwood the best possible environment, within the limits of what you're able to do on your property.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I think dogwoods do well in acid soil, too, you might want to check on that. Redbuds grow wild here in the midwest; I think they like fairly moist, loamy soil, don't know what ph. People around here have dogwoods (and redbuds) growing in all sorts of conditions, full sun, partial shade right by the corner of the house, smack dab in the middle of the front yard there is a huge one with the heavier, larger blossoms, a fine specimen.

Mine never flourished in full sun, just languished, so I transplanted it to the back yard in partial shade. It was either already a goner or I didn't dig deeply enough, and I lost it.

I bought one for my parents back in the late 60's, my father planted it in a partially shady spot that still gets a lot of full sun in the back yard, don't know if it has had doses of miracid or not, but it is still thriving. It was balled and burlapped and was that thing heavy.

Reply to
I Love Lucy