Shrub Growth Question

Some info before the questions:

I'm installing a cedar split-rail fence down one side of our property line. My plan is to use a bed of mixed evergreens at the bottom, on my side of the fence, and place a barrier like chicken wire or such to keep the shrubs from growing towards the neighbor's (who doesn't want anything on her 1' wide patch of grass.

So far I've decided on English Boxwood for its dwarf nature, color and globe-look. Dwarf Burford Holly for beauty, berries and to mix things up in terms of texture & height. Loropetalum (probably Ruby) to toss in some burgandy and a third leaf shape.

If anyone knows why I shouldn't use one or more of these shrubs please let me know. I've been agonizing over shrub choice for months. I'm in zone 8a/b (kind of straddling the line), the shrubs will receive full sun on the front half and a little morning shade on the back half. The soil is well-drained and the grass is St. Augustine.

Question #1: Can I plant the shrubs at ground level, slightly mounded w/mulch, or do I need to create a 150' long bed?

Question #2: If a bed is advised how do others with surface-creeping grasses do this without having to pull grass from your bed every other day? I don't know what I'm doing wrong but plastic bed borders, landscape fabric and mulch don't deter the grass in my existing beds.

Question #3: Approximately how many years will it take for the Boxwood to reach mature height? I can only find that its slow-growing. I'd probalby start with affordable 6" plants since I'll need so many and will be eager for the shrubs to reach at least 12" by 2008, is this realistic?

Thanks, sorry to be so long-winded.

Reply to
scfundogs