Venus Flytrap

I am going to get some Venus Flytraps for my 7 and 8 year old neighbor boys for Christmas. Anything I should know and are there other plants like that to grow with them? MJ

Reply to
mj

mj schrieb:

i strongly advice against your course of action. venus flytraps are not for little boys. you should purchase a peyote cactus instead. they will have more fun with it anyway.

Reply to
Hunky Farrel

they should never be fertilized or allowed to freeze or dry out.

as a kid i had ideas about growing them for sale, had flowers and hand pollinated them, harvested the seeds and sprouted them.

40something little tykes, and then i had to go away for a few weeks. i asked my sister to watch over them and keep them moist. i came home to small little black strands of dried out baby venus flytraps.

they are fun plants, need some warmth and bright light to do well. plenty of good reading material out there on how to grow and care for them.

other companion plants would also be bog/low nutrient plants. pitcher plants, sundew, ...

songbird

Reply to
songbird