Unusual idea. unusual request.

Not true. Not even half true by any stretch of the imagination.

PGA has no specs for golf greens. USGA, however, recommends 85% SAND and 15% PEAT, but it only meets specs if it has a perched water table.

You were kinda making sense until you got to the end.

Reply to
Advert

What a good idea. I hadn't looked at it from that angle, but giving the project over to kids, particularly the maintenance, sounds terrific. And interesting.

Reply to
Frogleg

Before the advent of plastic liners, the practice was to use vegetation killers. My dad was an avid golfer for 40 years, and I used to accompany him. From time to time the sand traps at the various courses he played reeked of chemicals.

Plantproof liners of one kind or another are used today.

J. Del Col

Reply to
J. Del Col

While it may be possible that there are a few courses that line bunkers with plastic, over 99% do not. It is not an accepted practice in golf course construction today and USGA does not recommend it. In over 20 years of design/construction/renovation of golf courses I have never seen it.

Duncan Hines

Whats not true or half true by any strecth of the imagination? Golf greens are cut to a height of one eighth of an inch( give or take a fraction or two). If you know of a rotory lawnmower that will cut that short i'd like to know about it. If you cut more than one third of length off a blade of grass you can get burning(browning)of the leaves. In college we maintained a hybrid bermuda lawn. We mowed 3 times a week and almost allways burned the foliage. Don't know about the PGA/USGA part, but if your right I guess that makes me only half wrong about it. You can get around the perk part with a drainage system under the green(there are specs for that too).

Reply to
barrett

Maybe you meant REEL mower 4 times a WEEK. That is what golf courses here do.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning