immersion watering method for gardenia

Dear Experts,

I recently bought a 1G gardenia "veitchii" with 15 buds! Very excited! I put it by the southeast facing window and let it bath in sunshine through glass+blinds everyday. I'm in the northern california by the way. Books say it needs water and moisture. I'm wondering if I can do immersion watering for gardenia. I'm planning to do immersion watering for Azalea and moth orchid because some books and websites suggest this.

Have you had any experience with immersion watering method for gardenia? If it is ok, I will immersion water azalea, gardenia and moth orchid, at the same time every weekend and feed azalea food the second day after immersion watering. Does my plan sound safe?

Thanks and look forward to getting your inputs!

Tiffany

Reply to
Frank

The plant probably needs water but most likely doesn't like wet feet, i.e., it doesn't like standing in water. Bottom watering, I think, is the best for plants since it encourages better root growth. Top watering too often creates a crustiness to the top layer of soil thus making water difficult to penetrate and soak in. I bottom water mine by placing the plants in a flat and then filling the flat with water. This works best when the flat has no holes in it.

Plants take water differently depending on the time of year. By us in the land of ice and snow, houseplants slow down during winter months when light levels decrease and indoor temps cool. With gardenia you want moist soil but not saturated soil. Letting the plant go dry will most likely cause leaves and flowers to drop.

Light daily misting may be enough moisture in between watering.

might give you some help.

Reply to
WiGard