self-watering pot

Hello Experts,

I saw some self-watering pots in the gardening store. I'm thinking of getting some so that my plants won't be too dry or too wet if I'm too busy to take care of them. Suppose this kind of pot can adjust the water level automatically, right? No need of human intervetion. I just started my gardening enthusiasm last week and I'm planning to setup a schedule of watering once a week over the weekend but not sure if I can keep this schedule yet, because this is a new activity to me. :-P So I think this kind of pot may be a big ease of mind if their working mechanism is healthy.

Do you think this kind of pots are good to plants? I read plant books and some plants do not like soggy soil. I'm wondering since you always keep water in the saucer and the saucer is connected to the soil through small holes at the bottom, will this kind of arrangement make the soil soggy or is it just fine?

For gardenia, azalea, anthurium, gebonia, which can be or can not be planted in this kind of pots?

Thanks a ton!!

tiff

Reply to
Frank

Water saver crystals work great in my outdoor container gardening escapades (which is mostly what I do... Zone 7a). I plant just about anything in large pots with either smashed aluminum cans or just cans placed upside down for drainage so the pot is light enough for me to move. This depends on the size of pot/trough I am using. I work for HD in the garden section and I plant some of the "sad" plants headed for the compactor in pots in my container garden classes I teach and I will use those magic crystals there too....They basically absorb water, hold it till the soil starts to dry, and release it in a timely manner. I read an article where a lady that traveled a lot used cheap disposable diapers, (unused of course, but she didn't really say,sooo....Hmmm) one in a 12" pot, and watered the different plants once a month,and they have been pretty successful.You can usually find the Water Saver Crystals in the tropical plant section next to the Root Tone, another one of my fav's... For example,.I have 4 Red Maple trees, 3yrs old and only

3' tall in 12" pots I started from Samaras, and I gotta tell ya they are spectacularly bushy trees that have great summer and fall foliage.... As far as the water in the saucer bit, most plants will search for the water if not available to them and you will have roots climbing out the holes...Works great for African Violets & the like... Good luck, but have fun...Pot anything...

Reply to
Kevin Cutlip