unusual african "corn plant" blooms

Anyone see this before?

have never seen it on this or any other corn plant. They are indoor plants here in Seattle. The flowers are very fragrant after dark. I just raised the humidity in the house and all the corn plants are blooming.

Will this produce fertile seeds?

George Seattle

Reply to
the moke monster

Its not a "corn plant", you nimrod, nor is it at all unusual.

Its the widely grown Dracaena fragrans 'Massageana'.

It normally blooms this time of year but you probably never noticed it before. It easily blooms when mature but many growers remove the flower stems because they take strength away from the plant.

It will not set fruit (yet alone produce fertile seed) because you need a pollinator and the flowers are not self-fertile.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Mine is quite fragrant - sort like a paperwhite's scent. I remember looking around trying to find the source of the fragrance and being astounded to find a bloom.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I remember looking

Mine is over tem years old and this is the first time it has bloomed. The blooms also have sticky clear goop on them.

George

Reply to
the moke monster

Mine took about 7 years to bloom but has bloomed regularly, once or twice a year, since. I noticed the leaves seemed to have some "sap" (my reaction was "what is that goop!") while the blooms were opening, but it cleaned right up. Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Uh, doesn't the fact that he put corn plant in quotes in the header suggest he knew that? k For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit

consumer info about tree care, visit

Babberney