TICKS AND MOSQUITOES

My daughter and her family recently moved to a small rural town in North Carolina. She an her entire family like the area very much except for the ticks and mosquitoes. Is there any thing they can use on their lawn to control these pests?

Reply to
Hound Dog

Please don't forget chigger's. which are already gone when you notice them. What to do? I travel about the garden much less during August. Meanwhile I have this here little French device called a "Therapik" which helps when I got to get out in the garden anyway. US $22

I bought one from here and am glad I did.

Bill

PS July and August may be a good month to visit northern climes. ;)))

Reply to
William Wagner

Keep the lawn mowed, dead branches trimmed, improve drainage. This time of year (May-June) ticks are common and actively looking for hosts. Guinea hens and turkeys love to eat ticks. Carefully inspect the naked body after working outdoors, and use a mirror.

There are probably several varieties of mosquitoes in NC. The small striped mosquito bites in full sun. Wet areas and standing water are breeding grounds. Keep your gutters clean, wash out birdbaths regularly, drain old tires.

The best product I found that repels mosquitoes and ticks is Deep Woods OFF!, but most products with DEET works well.

Ticks and mosquitoes are not nearly as bad as the black widow and recluse spiders or poisonous snakes (timber rattler, eastern coral, cottonmouths and copperheads). Most spiders and snakes are very beneficial to gardening. I commonly see big rat snakes up to 8 feet long (one was under my deck)--these hunt and eat copperhead.

Reply to
Phisherman