thorny plant, not a rose...what is it?

We have a plant in our back yard that's nothing but a few stems with thorns, and some leaves. It's creeping all over but there doesn't seem to be any buds or flowers of any sort. We have 2 other different rose plants, so at first I thought this would be one as well, but so far no flowers. What else could it be?

Reply to
alice

I don't know where you are located but Bougainvillea is a climber and while it doesn't have thorns like a rose its a very prickly stemmed plant.

-- Tara

Reply to
scfundogs

At my mom's house it would be a blackberry vine. What does it look like? Anything like a rose? I've seen the root rose vines get quite long without having any flowers. Maybe it's a euphorbia?

Reply to
Charles

i don't know your location (usda zone, etc., but more importantly, state & city (or province if you're in canada). i, myself, live in central new hamster and i have three different plants just as you have described, all with different names: 1) wild raspberry (Rubus); 2) virginia creeper; and lastly, 3) maple-leaf creeping raspberry (Rubus oderata). that one, too, is wild, and not terribly edible to humans, but deer and other wild critters love 'em.

most raspberries bloom quite early and thus, at least in northern new england, don't develop fruit cuz bees and other pollinators are not quite "out" yet (NOT still in the closet, per se ;o), just too cold and wet for them yet.)

it'd REALLY help if you could post a pic in the garden binary group OR go to

ask your question there, AND put in a pic....the only problem there is they accept only pretty small pix, but they tell you in advance.

happy planting.....

Reply to
froggie